Preview Window takes focus away from Result List

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
klark1kent

Re: Strange behavior

Post by klark1kent »

Unsure if these things are related, or a result of 1367A release (what I'm on) but I've noticed recently (hadn't had a reason to notice before really) that the Preview Window takes focus away from Result List any time a preview loads. You can tell this is happening because if you immediately use the arrow keys the previewed file if it's excel will scroll up down left right... whatever direction you're trying to go, instead of the results list. What this does in my case is prevents me from using the Down Key to continuously scroll down a single file at a time.

Real world scenario of where this becomes annoying. I'm going through a list of old Excel files, some of which have errors and won't open, they also won't generate a preview, others of which open just fine, that do display a preview.. The ones that show a preview in the preview window, I'm renaming to reflect that they are VALID, the ones that do not, I'm not renaming, and will likely just delete after I'm done. I have a keyboard macro created to do all of this... F2, Home, add Prefix to rename as VALID, enter, Down to next file. But every time I go down, if the next file has a working and displayed preview it breaks the ability to do this, and I have to default back to using the mouse to refocus on results list...

Keyboard macro or not, if this behavior occurs on other file types, it'd be limiting for sure.

I checked advanced settings and there are some focus related settings in there, but didn't see anything related to Preview window specifically.
void
Developer

Re: Preview Window takes focus away from Result List

Post by void »

Moved from Strange behavior.
(The issue is unlikely related)

The issue is likely related to this change:
Everything 1.5.0.1367a will now create the preview window on the UI thread.

This will help prevent Everything from hanging when preview handler has stalled.

Please let me know if you have any trouble previewing files with this change.
https://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=64712#p64712

I am unable to reproduce the issue.
Windows 10 + Office 2016 with previewing xlsx files.

What version of Windows are you using?
What version of Office?

Could you please send a debug log:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, under the Debug submenu, check Verbose.
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, under the Debug submenu, check Start Debug Logging.
    ---
    Show the preview for an xlsx file.
    Change the selection in Everything
    ---
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, under the Debug submenu, click Stop Debug Logging.
    The Everything Debug Log will open in Notepad.
  • Please save this file to the Desktop and send to support@voidtools.com
    Privacy
horst.epp

Re: Preview Window takes focus away from Result List

Post by horst.epp »

For me, version 1367a has no preview handler focus problem.
Tested with MP4 videos.
Even while one video is playing in the preview,
I can still click on the next video or use the cursor keys in the search results.