"How to" mount shadow copies and add them to your Everything index.

General discussion related to "Everything".
hamid56

"How to" mount shadow copies and add them to your Everything index.

Post by hamid56 »

Nice hint for all
Surprisingly I understood that after loading shadow copy of every partition by "shadow explorer" software, everything 1.5 detect that mounted shadow partition(usually by latest free letter e.g., "Z") and easily indexed by Ev1.5. (Please consider that shadow copy partition can't be seen directly via standard disk management of any version of windows and art of David is very appreciable at this area)
By junction of these two nice software, we have a very great powerful tool that can search for any file that available at shadow copy e.g., "z: test.txt"
for professional user that like to see what file are not duplicated at shadow copy can perform a nice tricky search "!dupe: c:|z:".(as rule some temp folder and "system volume information" is ignored by shadow copy process)
there are many other tricks that can be discovered by other person and enrich this part.
https://www.shadowexplorer.com/downloads.html
or
https://www.shadowexplorer.com/uploads/ ... rtable.zip
NotNull

Re: "How to" mount shadow copies and add them to your Everything index.

Post by NotNull »

Oh, nice one @hamid56! Never heard of Shadow Explorer before, but made it part of my toolbox instantly. Thanks!!
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

I use Nirsoft shadow viewer, and shadowcopy view.
I tried using Shadow explorer, whilst it worked OK, I found that the restore point that I was viewing got deleted.

Have you come across this problem?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

No such problem here (yet?)
harryray2 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:36 pm I use Nirsoft shadow viewer, and shadowcopy view.
If I may ask, why do you use 2 different programs for the same purpose?
(says the one with lots of file managers installed ...)
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Both have slightly different capabilities...I haven't had need to use them for a while, as I try to use Everything to look at shadow copies when I can, but I seem to remember that Shadow explorer had a search facility.

I suppose it's an annoying problem with many programmes that serve a similar purpose, one will have one or two good features, that another programme doesn't have.

I try to avoid Chrome for example, but it has a couple of extensions that are useful for me, that Firefox doesn't have.