Compact disc works A-OK but not when copied to a drive despite using different methods [SOLVED]

Off-topic posts of interest to the "Everything" community.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Compact disc works A-OK but not when copied to a drive despite using different methods [SOLVED]

Post by Thy Grand Voidinesss »

I have a CD with a CAT scan that works OK - i.e. I can go to its

fc\bin\cdviewer.exe

an a viewing program will run when I execute this file, showing me medical data with a GUI

But when I copy content of that CD to a drive [using either Windows Explorer, TeraCopy 3.12.0, Fast Copy 5.1.0 x64 run as Administrator] then executing this EXE [even as Administrator] does nothing. And if I explore BIN and ISO images of this CD made with Ashampoo Burning Studio 14.0.5 and run that EXE then I will get pop-up errors informing me about 3 missing DLL files- despite these files being present within those image files. And yes: I have triple checked the size of the whole ordinary copies and image copies and compared with that reported by the system for this CD- they all have the exact number of files and folders and also the overall size expressed in bytes

So how is it then that a CD not protected by a password works- but its copies do not? I can access the raw medical data, which is hard for any usage, but its GUI is inaccessible

Over the years I have copied many such CDs with medical records to my drives using different methods and they all work. And also as for this Blu-ray of mine: I use it seldomly only for this task and for a meticulous task of restoring my operating system from images and saving new ones- thus I can assume it is in a pristine condition that yields no copying errors

I am using Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2 x64
Last edited by Thy Grand Voidinesss on Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Re: Compact disc works A-OK but not when copied to a drive despite using different methods

Post by Thy Grand Voidinesss »

It seems that I was wrongly under the impression of Windows 10 having made obsolete the need to mount images - while as it turns out it was my filemanager FreeCommander that allows me to navigate to my image files [just like in case of ZIPs and other archive files]. Because if I use Windows Explorer I cannot navigate within those images out right - as I have first to use the Mount option from the shell menu of WE [which option shows only for the ISO version and not the BIN]; which option looks like completely unnecessary when navigating using FreeCommander [which is true only sometimes as solution to my problem has shown]

Case closed