Feature Request: Command Line Option to not save aything from the window that will be created?

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
Ralf_Reddings

Feature Request: Command Line Option to not save aything from the window that will be created?

Post by Ralf_Reddings »

I use Everything's command line features heavily. One thing that I have been struggling is Everything saving the most recent Windows properties such as the width, height, search state, visible panels etc.

This is actually one of my favourite features of Everything, but I am trying to automate things, I find it getting in the way.

Let say I already have an Everything window open, I want to create another new window from the command line that is part of a quick automation task:

Code: Select all

Everything64 -n -s "Dont_Save_this_window" -width 1300 -height 600
The result will be the following image, the window on the left is the "automation task" window, the one on the right is the window that was open before the Cli call:

Now when I create another everything window, either through:
  • File
    >
    NewWindow
  • Taskbar Tray
  • Everything64 -n
or through the many other means. The "automation task" window is used as the basis for this new window as it is "The last window":

This is not ideal, I create many random Everything windows that are meant to act as "front end" GUIs for AutoHotkey/PowerShell scripts and other Automations tasks.

I tried to solve this problem by defining my own "New window" hotkey, which essentially calls
Eveything64
with its own
-witdh
-height
etc but it was very limited compared to the actual Everything "New window" which has many useful properties such as remembering the last search string and even selecting it.

Can we get an option that essentially tells everything "Don't remember" or discard the window, kind of like Chrome's incognito feature:

Code: Select all

Everything64 -n -s "Dont_Save_this_window" -width 1300 -height 600 -Discard-Window
I feel this feature is essentially for Everything. I hope you will consider it. Thank you.