Retaining pos in results when changing subfolders option

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
meteorquake

Retaining pos in results when changing subfolders option

Post by meteorquake »

When you change the subfolders option to on or off, you lose your last-clicked item in the results, your selection and your scroll view.
A few ideas for improving this which may be on the todos already, but wanted to outline how it would work best in terms of my own workflow -

* Switching ON subfolders - maintain selection, last-clicked item, top item in view.

* Switching OFF subfolders -
- selected items : maintain any in the base folder (the rest being no longer visible)
- scroll view : scan outward from the top item in view and on meeting one that is in the base folder have the new viewing position such that that one is at the top.
- last-clicked item: maintain if was in the base folder, or else choose one of the selected items which probably makes sense really if there's just one resulting selected item (if there are several perhaps have none as last-clicked)

Examples of situations of impact:
I often create a subfolder, drag some items in, then realise I'm in subfolder view and switch it off and lose my position and have to find it again.
I often select some items, realise I'm not in subfolder view, so switch it on and lose my selection.

Cheers, David
void
Developer

Re: Retaining pos in results when changing subfolders option

Post by void »

Please try disabling "Clear selection on search":
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Results tab on the left.
  • Uncheck Clear selection on search.
  • Click OK.
Does this help with keeping the selection?
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

Cheers - that seems to do it.
I'm not sure if I'd want selection retained during any other search change, I'll have to see how it goes. Probably in practice it won't be an issue.
David
void
Developer

Post by void »

I will trial always keeping the selection when changing the folder sidebar selection or subfolders in the next alpha update.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1367a will now keep the result list selection after making a change to the folder sidebar selection.