how to stop everything from rebuilding the database when I mount .mrimg image drives (Macrium Reflect backups)

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
Ralf_Reddings

how to stop everything from rebuilding the database when I mount .mrimg image drives (Macrium Reflect backups)

Post by Ralf_Reddings »

I use Macrium Reflect as my backup solution, it creates virtual drive images for every backup, that can then be mounted.

Whenever I mount these drives, everything starts rebuilding the database, although this is not a full rebuild (it does not regather properties, of which I have a lot of) but it builds everything else, such as:
  • date modified
  • date created
  • file size
  • folder size

etc etc, since my DB consists of allot of drives, this takes 5-7 minutes. Which means I cant search anything during that time in a Everything Window or in ES cli, Directory Opus etc.

For user properties and content indexing, I solved this problem by only gathering/indexing content from the following drives:

Code: Select all

A:\;B:\;C:\;D:\;E:\;F;J:\;M:\;Q;L;N:\;R:\
and only ever mounting Macrium Reflect drives on drives letters not present in the above list of letters. But the NTFS, FAT, ReFs setting sections do not over such filtering options.

I have noticed that Everything lists these virtual drives under NTFS, I unchecked "Automatically include the new fixed volumes" and "Automatically include the new removable volumes" but this does not seem to do anything as when I mount new .mrimg files, everything rebuilds the DB

I am on the latest beta.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
nikov

Re: how to stop everything from rebuilding the database when I mount .mrimg image drives (Macrium Reflect backups)

Post by nikov »

I asked similar questions at least for this particular point of yours "waiting without searching" type of issue:
Ralf_Reddings wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:31 pm this takes 5-7 minutes. Which means I cant search anything during that time in a Everything Window
Thus, they maybe related:
viewtopic.php?t=14121
viewtopic.php?t=13319

I assume a lot of people are facing similar issues but less reported.
Particularly, this "waiting without searching" issue's workaround is maybe in consideration if I am not wrong.

I tried to mean in such case, from general users' perspective, they will usually expect adding/removing just a single drive will not halt them completely from searching the old drives for several minutes in situations.
void
Developer

Re: how to stop everything from rebuilding the database when I mount .mrimg image drives (Macrium Reflect backups)

Post by void »

Please try disabling automatically include new fixed NTFS volumes:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the NTFS tab on the left.
  • Uncheck Automatically include new fixed volumes.
  • Click OK.
Ralf_Reddings

Post by Ralf_Reddings »

Hi Void, I tried that solution and mentioned it in my original post:
I unchecked "Automatically include the new fixed volumes" and "Automatically include the new removable volumes" but this does not seem to do anything as when I mount new .mrimg files, everything rebuilds the DB
Sadly, it does not work. Everything still rebuilds the database when a new drive is mounted.
I asked similar questions at least for this particular point of yours "waiting without searching" type of issue:
Hey thanks for the links to those similar topics, I checked the threads and I seem to be following the reccomended solutions but the database rebuilding issue seems to persist though.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Is Everything seeing this drive as non-NTFS?

Please try disabling automatically include new fixed NTFS volumes:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the FAT tab on the left.
    ---
  • Click the ReFS tab on the left.
    ---
  • Click the Network Drive tab on the left.
  • Click OK.
Does the issue persist?

Are you indexing any folders under Tools -> Options -> Folders?
Are any of these folders offline?
Ralf_Reddings

Post by Ralf_Reddings »

I tried your suggestion and unchecked "Automatically include new fixed volumes" on all the setting pages they apear on, but the issue persisted.

How I managed to fix it was, by removing all of the disks that appeared as 'offline' under the **NTFS** page. Some of these "offline" disks were Reflect backup images. Once I did that Everything was not longer trying to index new drives.

I hope this is of help to others too. Cheers for the help Void.
klark1kent

Post by klark1kent »

So I came on here to ask a question about Macrium and mounting as well, but I have the flip side of this equation based on my settings.

Also, I don't know if this is relevant but I'm about to Mount a File and Folder backup from within Macrium to verify what I'm about to explain below, and noticed the information in Macrium its listed as being: VOLUME: File Backup Virtual Drive, as has been discussed in this thread (mounted virtual drive), but under the File System, it's FILE SYSTEM: FAT32 (LBA)

For example, if I mount a Macrium image (which I just did with the assigned drive letter 'M:'), I must have turned off the settings that initiate the database to rebuild because the index does NOT refresh or rebuild. It appears what OP was trying to solve for, doesn't occur for me, which is the only reason I'm responding here

Here's an image of File Explorer beside the Folder list in Everything. This is after hitting F5
File Explorer beside the Folder list in Everything
File Explorer beside the Folder list in Everything
Macrium Mount - Assigned Drive Letter M.png (126.72 KiB) Viewed 371 times
[/indent]

Here are the NTFS and FAT Settings:
NTFS and FAT Settings
NTFS and FAT Settings
NTFS and FAT Settings.png (64.91 KiB) Viewed 371 times
[/indent]

Which is where the reason I came to the forum comes into play. In order to use Everything to review files / folders within my mounted Macrium images I have to manually add their Assigned Drive to under the Folders menu in Indexes.

Image of Folders menu, which explains why I have Offline Disk for I and L drives.
Folders Menu - Other Images that are no longer mounted.
Folders Menu - Other Images that are no longer mounted.
Folders Menu.png (33.04 KiB) Viewed 371 times
[/indent]

The issue that I have with this is that of course, once those images are no longer mounted, Everything still considers them as Folders that I want to be included. Which you'll notice in the first screenshot as I and L. Which also returns files / folders in the Results list, that technically, don't exist on the file system.

So my question was going to be...
how exactly are we supposed to mount Virtual Images where they are still visible in Everything but do not trigger a rebuild of the index, however, that still allows for a rebuild of the index if the user chooses. That also once unmounted, is no longer visible in Everything. .

It seems to specifically be an issue with Macrium, but maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

It appears you have to choose between one of two options:

1) Contend with the original posters issue of reindexing the volume on every change, which I can confirm, I was running into that problem myself before doing whatever I did to get it to stop.

2) Configure Everything not to automatically rebuild indexes for those images, but then be forced to both manually add Folders to review files, but then also have to manually remove those images once they become unmounted in order to avoid those files being returned (and potentially actioned, i.e. renaming, deleting etc... if you perform a rename activity on them it follows through on attempting to do the activity, the files just never leave the results list or reflect a rename, obviously because they aren't really there)