Error 8: Everything IPC window not found.

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
sashanas

Error 8: Everything IPC window not found.

Post by sashanas »

Greetings,

I'm trying to use ES from the command line like so:

Code: Select all

es -max-results 24 whateveriwanttofind
and I'm getting returned this error:

Code: Select all

Error 8: Everything IPC window not found. Please make sure Everything is running.
My ES version is 1.1.0.26 and Everything is 1.4.1.1015.
My General has "Store settings" and "Everything Service" checked, "Run as administrator" is unchecked.
The service list has Everything up and running, I tried enabling "Allow service to interact with desktop" but it didn't work.
When the Everything window is opened, it actually works, but as soon as I close Everything, the same error comes up.
Is there a way to make it work without the need to actually open the program GUI? Just with the service running?

Thanks in advance!
void
Developer

Re: Error 8: Everything IPC window not found.

Post by void »

Please try the non-lite version of Everything.

The lite version does not support IPC.
sashanas

Post by sashanas »

Hi hi,

Downloaded the 1.4.1.1024 version, but still getting the same error unless Everything is opened and/or in the background.
Tried messing with the -svc, -start-service and -start-client-service options as well, even though the service runs with -svc and -start-service (it doesn't open with -start-client-service), I couldn't get it to work with only the service running.
therube

Post by therube »

unless Everything is opened and/or in the background
Correct.
In order for ES (command-line) to work, Everything (the GUI) itself needs to be running.

That is expected.

(Note that the Everything Service does not necessarily need to be running for ES to work, but the GUI is needed.)
sashanas

Post by sashanas »

Oh, I thought the service would be enough. That's why then. Sorry for the hassle and thanks once again!