Incrementing "Run count" from ".efu" file list

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
nikov

Incrementing "Run count" from ".efu" file list

Post by nikov »

Hi,
Through Everything's advanced settings we can enable many capabilities for ".efu" file list's item, such as enabling thumbnail, previewing, renaming/deleting, etc. But is there an option by which it will add capability to increment opened item's "Run count" from ".efu" file list?
Currently opening an item from ".efu" file list does not increment "Run count" for that item. Is there an option for that?

Thank you.
void
Developer

Re: Incrementing "Run count" from ".efu" file list

Post by void »

Are you referring to an opened file list from File -> Open File List?
-These file lists do not have a run count database.
I will consider a global run count database.

Are you referring to a file list in your index under Tools -> Options -> File Lists?
-Opening a file list item should increment the run count. Are you seeing something different?
nikov

Post by nikov »

void wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:53 am
I am maybe referring to "File -> Open File List...":

Further explanation:

Suppose,
There is a file called "C:\item.png" then normally, if this file is opened from Everything using double-click then this file's "Run Count" is increased. (Then it is immediately updated/reflected in all opened Everything windows if those windows list this particular file.)

Then suppose, there is an efu file called "C:\list.efu" with the following contents:

Code: Select all

Filename
"C:\item.png"

Then I opened this list using "File -> Open File List...".

Then as usual, Everything lists this "C:\item.png" in the results window.
Then I opened "C:\item.png" using double-click from this window but then its "Run Count" is not increased. Which is now for me is not expected.

Also note that, this is another explanation:
If I rename "C:\item.png" to "C:\item_two.png" from the same "list.efu"'s results window. The original file is silently renamed and it is not shown in the Everything efu list window, which is now for me is good and expected.
Likewise, here, I expect the same behavior for "Run Count", if I double-click the "C:\item.png" from the "list.efu"'s results window, Everything should silently increase the "Run Count" (it does not need to be shown in the the currently opened efu list results window).

Also note that, right-button click on "C:\item.png" from the "list.efu"'s results window does not provide the "Set Run Count..." context-menu option. This feature is also missing.

Thank you.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Internally, Everything will load the file list as a separate database.

Each database has a table for run history.
This file list database has run history disabled.

I will consider an option to always use the run history from the main database. (if loaded)
Thank you for the suggestion.
nikov

Post by nikov »

void wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:11 pm
Thanks.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1362a will now increment the run count in the main database.

Opening a file from an opened file-list will now increment the run count from the main database (if it is loaded)

Please note that the displayed run count will always be 0 for opened file lists.
nikov

Post by nikov »

Many thanks.
This is working very nice. :)
But it would be great and would make it more consistent with the current behavior if the "Set Run Count..." context menu is added.
Because usually users will expect, if opening the item by double clicking increments the run count then it should be possible to manually set the run count via context menu too like the main results window.

It would be great too if other context menu options (such as the Omit, Temporarily Omit, etc.) are implemented as well because this will match efu list results window's functionality with the main results window's functionality.
But for now I think "Set Run Count..." context menu is very needed due to the requirement for the current behavior.

"Set Run Count..." context menu:
Set Run Count context menu.png
Set Run Count context menu.png (1.22 KiB) Viewed 876 times
void
Developer

Post by void »

I will consider always showing the Set Run Count... context menu item.
(even when the item is not from the local db)

Thank you for the suggestion.
nikov

Post by nikov »

void wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:40 pm
Thank you for the consideration.