Description field for Bookmarks and Filters

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Description field for Bookmarks and Filters

Post by Thy Grand Voidinesss »

I propose adding a new field named Description or Info that will serve as a place for notes from the user when adding a new or editing already existing be it Filter or Bookmark

Those aiding features have many options and can get really complicated with extremely long values in their Search field plus a user might be using many similar ones - and the Name field is not a right place to put very long strings of text and technical / behind the scenes details

I myself just recently came back to my Bookmarks after a long break from tinkering with my overall configuration only to find some test ones that lacked explanation of what it is that they suppose to do [and their names were short ones so that they would take as little as possible of horizontal space]
harryray2

Re: Description field for Bookmarks and Filters

Post by harryray2 »

I'll second that, it's something I've wanted for quite a while...I have gazillions of bookmarks, and The ones that I don't use on a regular basis have become a bit of a mystery to me as to what they do :shock:

What I have been doing, which is very messy, is to put a description of the bookmark in the name field.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

harryray2 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:44 pm What I have been doing, which is very messy, is to put a description of the bookmark in the name field.
You could also put the description in the Search field, using the nop: search function:
  • Start the search field with nop:"This is the description of this bookmark"
  • Press 'ALT + ENTER'
  • Enter your original search
Example:
2023-11-05 00_48_00-Edit Bookmark.png
2023-11-05 00_48_00-Edit Bookmark.png (22.24 KiB) Viewed 3303 times
tuska

Post by tuska »

I suggest a "Tooltip" field for this topic (description/info field for Bookmarks and Filters).
- Max. number of characters: 259 characters (analogue to the "Name" field).
- The "Tooltip" field could be positioned below the "name" field in the "Edit Bookmark" window.
- The tooltip should be displayed below the name when you point the cursor at the name of the bookmark.
- If a tooltip display is not possible for some reason, then there should at least be a description/info field.

The following would then be available to document e.g. a saved bookmark:
- Max. 259 characters for the name
- Max. 259 characters for the tooltip [or description/info field]
- Max. 259 characters for nop: ... Edit Bookmark > Search: > custom: nop: "This is the description of this bookmark'
void
Developer

Post by void »

I will consider a Description/Tooltip (and a Tags) field.

Thank you for the suggestions.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

The tooltip (when hovered) seems like a good idea to quickly see a description of the bookmark
andymbody

Post by andymbody »

That's funny... I was just about to suggest a note field for bookmarks as well... must be something in the air lately... :)

I sometimes forget why I made certain decisions about all the other fields in the bookmark, and a note field would provide a way to remind myself about all those details, especially when including regex needles. Of course this addition may not be trivial if the expectation is to support backwards compatibility of the bookmarks DB, especially with regard to the field character length.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Post by Thy Grand Voidinesss »

tuska wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:37 pm [...]
- Max. 259 characters for nop: ... Edit Bookmark > Search: > custom: nop: "This is the description of this bookmark'
Why would you want to prevent any user from using whatever long description a person might be in need of?
tuska

Post by tuska »

Thy Grand Voidinesss wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:18 pm
tuska wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:37 pm [...]
Why would you want to prevent any user from using whatever long description a person might be in need of?
I don't want to prevent any user from using anything - it was just an example.
If it is more than 259 characters, it would even be desirable.

The author makes the decision anyway.