Include folders only when prompted specifically / whitelist path with prompt

General discussion related to "Everything".
guerrythemight

Include folders only when prompted specifically / whitelist path with prompt

Post by guerrythemight »

Hey guys,

I would like to know if it's possible to include a path in the results only when prompted in the search. So, have it indexed, but only search in that path when I specifically add it to the search prompt. You could also see it as: Only whitelist it when I prompt it..

Is it possible to do something like this? In my mind, it should exist and shouldn't be hard, but I wasn't able to find anything on the forum or the web. But maybe I just didn't find the right search terminologies.

In case my explanation is not understandable enough, here is the situation: I have a NAS A and a backup NAS B (where most of the files from A are mirrored, but some files might also only be on B). Now, when I do a regular search i.E. song1.mp3, I only want to search on NAS A (and also i.E. on C: drive). Only when I add something like X: to the prompt, I want to include NAS B in the search (or even only search on B, doesn't matter that much).

I know I could just index NAS B as well and always specify to only search on NAS A, but I like the "freedom" of being able to just type and only search on A as 99.9% of all my searches are on A only. But If you tasted the sweet power of searching everything with Everything, the 0.1% of searches you have to do without Everything on NAS B: feels like so much of a hassle.. :D
therube

Re: Include folders only when prompted specifically / whitelist path with prompt

Post by therube »

Perhaps search Filters could work for you.

Change the default Everything filter to, Search: !X:\

Then create a new Everything filter, say, With-X, that is what the default Everything filter was before you changed it - so everything, including X: would be searched.

(Or go the other way, leave the default Everything as everything, & set up a new NOT-X, that simply has Search: !X:\, & use that as your "default" filter [rather then the default Everything filter].)
guerrythemight

Re: Include folders only when prompted specifically / whitelist path with prompt

Post by guerrythemight »

Hey therube,

Thanks so much for your suggestion! The tip with filters is a game changer for me, I wasn't aware of those and how to use them until now! Not did it help for the specific case I had with this thread, but also for separating other search results that are more general!

Thanks again for that!
Cheers!