Lazy Windows 10...Quick help?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Humanv19870304

Lazy Windows 10...Quick help?

Post by Humanv19870304 »

Skip the fist paragraph if in a rush too;
I know it's generally rude to just throw up new threads without due diligence, my apologies--I'll go so far as to say I'm tilting a bit (nothing to do with Everything; frankly ya'll are a incredible; I can't imagine not having Everything as-is). But I've been running through all sorts of non-Void tools' product related issues today and I'm just flat exhausted (2am local). Gripe disclaimer out of the way on to the issue:

Start:
So today in its natural course brought about a bunch of system restarts for me in my daily grind which is really how I developed a sore spot and I'd just like to iron out as much of it as possible...Could anyone dare I say "spoon feed" me a setup for Everything on Windows 10; or point me toward a thread to get:

A#1) 'Everything' to actually start on startup. (I'm aware of the running as admin/everything service settings and in the long ago-past (pre-windows 10) I believe they worked as advertised and I do not recall a similarity regarding this issue)

B) Such a minor thing, relative to A#1 -- Have Everything Search just load the last known database file and let me tell it when to update --opposed to running a database update once I run 'Everything' as I think on it I'm pretty sure its a one-click setting even so probably ignore this entirely.

Notes:

I've tried in the past (before 1.41) Re-installing and a couple different settings; as I remember from then, it seems Win10 wants to always install Everything such that starting the program from the "default" start menu shortcuts, it is always ran as an administrator, thus as I recall necessitating the Everything Service such as it does it's thing...yet again either way I found no joy.

I don't mind putting elbow grease into the fix, I'm just brain fried at the moment, so thank you for the understanding...
void
Developer

Re: Lazy Windows 10...Quick help?

Post by void »

Please make sure Everything is installed correctly and running as a standard user:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab on the left.
  • Check Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything.
  • Uncheck Run as administrator.
  • Check Everything Service. (Please make sure this is tick-checked and not square-checked)
  • Click OK.
  • Exit Everything (right click the Everything tray icon and click Exit).
  • Restart Everything.
Does the issue persist?
Humanv19870304

Re: Lazy Windows 10...Quick help?

Post by Humanv19870304 »

It did persist...although I've found the fix; with a clear-er head and actually focusing some intention toward it. Thank you for your time, and for the rest of folks; if ever useful:
these were my settings both before and after:
EverythingSettings.png
EverythingSettings.png (24.96 KiB) Viewed 3058 times
From, C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe (or your local install location)
gave it the ole' Right Click > Properties... to:
which tab i found it in
which tab i found it in
Changed1.png (27.38 KiB) Viewed 3058 times
Made changes to the following settings to make them as shown in picture:
setting that wasn't concurrent
setting that wasn't concurrent
Changed2.png (28.08 KiB) Viewed 3058 times
It had been setup with Run-as-Administrator here...for unknown reasons etc.. [despite settings from Everything -- Tools etc..

Many thank you's for time spent and good luck to all who follow...