Actions on shortcuts (.lnk)

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
meteorquake

Actions on shortcuts (.lnk)

Post by meteorquake »

Knotty question of how to handle shortcuts.
* Usually I want shortcuts to be treated as their targets, occasionally not but the shortcut as an object. I presume most people will find this too.
* My shortcut assigned to "File - Explore Path in Everything" takes you to the shortcut's own folder rather than to its target's. I think it should be to its target's. I think the same should apply to most other interpretations of a lnk.
* To get to a shortcut's own folder currently you can put up the folder context menu for it, which is satisfactory for the occasions that is needed. Perhaps there are some other ways?
* Perhaps under the File menu there could be an option "Shortcuts as Targets" defaulted to ticked, so that when ticked all shortcut actions are interpreted as their targets and when unticked all the actions would apply to the shortcut itself.
* I think with shortcuts it could also show two folder context menus for exploring the folder not one, one for the shortcut and one for the target.
* Perhaps similar logic for the other types of links.
David
therube

Re: Actions on shortcuts (.lnk)

Post by therube »

(Just saying...

I don't know that I've ever "run" a shortcut (except for clicking a desktop link, kind of thing).
In that I've never "searched" for name.lnk in order to run 'name'.

And in that respect, never been concerned where a particular .lnk physically resided.
If I want to see what I link is "doing", I'll check its' Properties.

Start Menu, don't use.
SendTo, use all the time, & there are .lnk there. But can't fathom accessing their linkage other then via SendTo context-menu.

Anyhow...)
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

I have a folder of thousands of links generated from a database, which are named by the database friendly content, pointing to folders with obscure names (named after the database id codes). So in Everything, I can easily search for the link by the friendly title and then either go from it to the folder to view the contents or simply drag files onto the link so the files go into the target folder.

d
void
Developer

Post by void »

I will consider an option to perform actions on the shortcut target. (instead of the lnk file)

Thank you for the suggestion.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Post by Thy Grand Voidinesss »

For me LNK file should be treated as an item thus not merely as an info for system about path. So if Everything is to change ts behavior - please make it optional

[A similar issue, of how paths leading to LNK files are treated / understood, I have with FreeCommander]
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

Yes definitely optional, I'd hope for a directly available option on the menu to help switching between uses, and probably good if people are able to assign a shortcut to it.

d