Everything + Winamp = mp3 crash

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
Monteg

Everything + Winamp = mp3 crash

Post by Monteg »

Everything is a good program, but I have one recurring bug, I ask you to fix it. So, I find in the search mp3 that I want to listen and turn it on from the Everything window. It starts playing in Winamp (yes, I'm still using Winamp 5.35 and I don't understand why change it to something). So, after 15-20 seconds the track turns off. Some kind of syntax error occurs and Winamp thinks that at least one letter has changed in the title or path and the existing track starts to look like it was deleted. This is NOT Winamp's own fault, because nothing like this has happened to it for many years and this never happens if I turned on the mp3 just from the window. This only happens when run from your program. Do something about it please.

Win 10.
Last edited by Monteg on Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
void
Developer

Re: Everything + Winamp = mp3 crush

Post by void »

I wonder if this could be caused by running Everything as administrator.

Please make sure Everything is installed correctly and running as a standard user:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab on the left.
  • Check Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything.
  • Uncheck Run as administrator.
  • Check Everything Service. (Please make sure this is tick-checked and not square-checked)
  • Click OK.
  • Exit Everything (right click the Everything tray icon and click Exit).
  • Restart Everything.
Does the issue persist?
Monteg

Post by Monteg »

Been there, done that.

settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything - was on
Uncheck Run as administrator - was on, now off
Check Everything Service - was off, now on

It seems that the problem is gone, although I still have to watch for a while.
In any case, I consider this as a serious flaw that needs to be fixed, for example by changing the initial settings. Many more will face this and not everyone will write here.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Post by Thy Grand Voidinesss »

I am using Winamp 5.8 Build 3660 Beta on Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2 x64 and never had such issues. Thus try updating to my version or beyond it [5.91.0 Build 10029]

Is this issue happening only when you fire up only from Everything? And only files in the MP3 format?
therube

Post by therube »

I wonder if this could be caused by running Everything as administrator.
What made you think of that?
And why might running As Admin be causing such an issue?

If Everything as Admin, then double-click mp3, opens Winamp as Admin, & that should be OK, I'd think.
(OK, except that you're running Everything & Winamp as Admin.)
But then why would it play only 15 seconds, then quit?

Does Win10 try to force "Admin" Winamp to not run as Admin or something like that?

In any case, it whips the llama's ass.
(Same cannot be said about the "new" version.)
Monteg

Post by Monteg »

Thy Grand Voidinesss, I tried to upgrade to a higher version of Winamp and was dumbfounded by its terrible state, so many things do not work there, and the tag editor is broken and turned into a multi-page one. Winamp 5.35 is the latest comfortable version, with moderate minimalism. Therefore, I will not switch from it. Moreover, the solution to the problem already seems to be found.
And yes, this happened only in the described cases. Else Winamp works fine. As for non-mp3 formats - funny, but I never checked. I do not store other formats. Need to check specifically?

therube, I also find it very strange that running as administrator can be a hindrance. Previously, this option always saved the day.
Last edited by Monteg on Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monteg

Re: Everything + Winamp = mp3 crash

Post by Monteg »

I did some additional research. Returned the settings to their old ones. Track "Shape Of My Heart" dropped out at 25 seconds and the title changed to ...Shape Of My Heart�.mp3. In Winamp itself, this icon was displayed as a square. Also, the ability to start the track by double-clicking was gone (it was the same before). Interestingly, such a crash does not happen every time, I just checked it on a lot of tracks, some crash, some don't, and even for one specific mp3 the status is different. I can't get a repeatable result.

Tried intermediate settings: the service is enabled, run as administrator is enabled. Crashes continue, so it's definitely "administrator" thing that ruins music.

Checked on ogg, also crashes.

Basically I don't understand what's going on.
Last edited by Monteg on Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
void
Developer

Post by void »

And why might running As Admin be causing such an issue?
From memory, Winamp doesn't like running as admin.

My guess is there's a shell extension that runs as a standard user.

Communication fails between the shell extension and Winamp.
This failure in communication may cause Winamp to stop playing..
Monteg

Re: Everything + Winamp = mp3 crash

Post by Monteg »

Well. A few days passed, I watched how everything works and made sure. Unchecking "Run as administrator" fixes the problem and it works fine. The other two options probably don't matter.
But although the problem was solved for me personally, I still recommend that the prog shout be improved so that the issue basically does not arise for others. Thanks to everybody.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Post by Thy Grand Voidinesss »

Monteg wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:41 pm Thy Grand Voidinesss, I tried to upgrade to a higher version of Winamp and was dumbfounded by its terrible state, so many things do not work there, and the tag editor is broken and turned into a multi-page one. Winamp 5.35 is the latest comfortable version
[...]
As for non-mp3 formats - funny, but I never checked. I do not store other formats. Need to check specifically?
[...]
1] In my experience it was some much older version that allowed me to use it on Windows 10

2]
If you are having trouble on Windows 10 or Windows 11 you can try to install one version over another, like 5.8 after 5.7 or the other way around. But I cannot give you specifics, as issues and solutions vary

3] Do not use Winamp for tagging. Instead use Mp3tag and forget that this feature ever existed in Winamp. [And then also get acquainted with Winamp > Options > Preferences > Playlist > Titles > Advanced Title Formatting

4] Every file format is not merely played but handled entirely in Winamp by a different plugin. If your problems are over then you are lucky. And if you ever run out of such luck then this might be the culprit / starting point for investigation