Does Everything process WM_SETTINGCHANGE messages?

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
mschmitt

Does Everything process WM_SETTINGCHANGE messages?

Post by mschmitt »

I noticed that when I use right-click (context menu) Send To on files in the Everything results window, sending to a certain application, the application didn't work. But the same action in Windows Explorer does. This is using Windows 10, Everything! 1.4.1.1024 (x64).

I traced it down to a problem in environment variables. The Everything process is not including a change to the environment. This application depends on these variables, so it doesn't work.

The sequence of events is...
  1. Start Windows
  2. Everything starts (service and minimized to notification area)
  3. A script runs, which changes the volatile environment
  4. The script also uses a command to set a dummy variable in the user environment. This action "informs running programs that the change was made, prompting them to regenerate their environments. Programs that support this feature [...] update their environments when they receive the WM_SETTINGCHANGE message"
  5. I search for something in Everything
  6. I right click, Send To the application
I can see that the variables set in step 3 are not in the Everything environment, until I close Everything and re-open it.
NotNull

Re: Does Everything process WM_SETTINGCHANGE messages?

Post by NotNull »

You need Everything 1.5 for that.
mschmitt

Post by mschmitt »

Thanks.

I think that now that I know I can fix it when necessary by quitting, relaunching, I'll wait for Everything 1.5 to be out of Alpha.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Everything 1.4 and Everything 1.5 can run side-by-side (this is the default), so if you would like to test 1.5 (and suggest improvements), you can do so without interfering with your 1.4 setup.

Version 1.5 is already very stable btw. Most regulars on these forums run it as their daily driver. Without issues that are worth mentioning.

(Just some background information. Not trying to push you in the 1.5 direction)
mschmitt

Post by mschmitt »

I confirm that Everything 1.5 solves this issue.