Reindexing after update from 1335 to 1352

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
andymbody

Reindexing after update from 1335 to 1352

Post by andymbody »

I have not updated Everything since 1335. It was working fine this morning. I then decided to update from 1335 to 1352 just now. When I rebooted computer and opened EverythingApp, it started indexing again from scratch. I only have one property that needs index (CRC-32).

Issue:
1. External files that were indexed right before the update no longer show in the search results. yet the sources still show in the NTFS section of options dialog.
2. The index that was there right before update has been wiped

This has happened twice in the past when I perform an update. I have a very large collection of data that takes more than 240 hours to index (that's 10 days of constant 24 hour indexing). I cannot afford to have this re-index take place every time i update this app. I have made contributions to the author, so I am not asking for support for free.

How the update was performed:
I simply replaced the exe file within my folder that contains all the Everything app files. Then restarted my computer.

Questions:
1. Why did this update wipe my index?
2. Why does the search results no longer show my external files?
3. Where are the index files stored with portable version?
4. How do I prevent this re-indexing going forward?
5. Can virus protection (Avast) cause this to happen when I update the exe file?
6. Is there any way to recover the CRC-32 index (I made a backup of the entire Everything folder before I replaced the exe file)
Last edited by andymbody on Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
void
Developer

Re: Reindexing after update from 1335 to 1352

Post by void »

1. Why did this update wipe my index?
Fixes to the database.
There might be required rebuilds during alpha.
Hopefully there wont be any more required rebuilds going forward..

2. Why does the search results no longer show my external files?
Offline files will lost when the database version changes.
You'll need to re-insert the offline media and update your indexes.

3. Where are the index files stored with portable version?
Same directory as your Everything.exe
-or-
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Everything
If Tools -> Options -> General -> Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything is enabled.

4. How do I prevent this re-indexing going forward?
The database shouldn't change going forward.

5. Can virus protection (Avast) cause this to happen when I update the exe file?
No.

6. Is there any way to recover the CRC-32 index (I made a backup of the entire Everything folder before I replaced the exe file)
You would have to revert to your previous database (Everything.db) and Everything version (Everything.exe).
andymbody

Post by andymbody »

Thank you for the info David!

I will be sure to backup the LocalAppData DB also in the future. I may revert back to the previous version when I get home. I assume that I can just replace LocalAppData DB (or uncheck this option) with the one from the Everything folder that I backed up, then run 1335 instead of 1352? Although the DB in app folder is more than 6 months old, so it may be better to build another one with latest version.

1. Are there any other file locations that I should be aware of?
2. Is there a best practices for updating the app to prevent losing the index/etc. Should I normally be able to simply replace exe file and be fine?
therube

Post by therube »

I assume that I can just replace LocalAppData DB with the one from the Everything folder that I backed up, then run 1335 instead of 1352?
Sounds like that should work.
You can always test (using the ZIP version, in a different directory) & copy existing .db into there (kind of thing).
1. Are there any other file locations that I should be aware of?
Help | Troubleshooting, should show you where your Profile/Database are.
2. Is there a best practices for updating the app to prevent losing the index/etc.
Backup ahead of time, to be safe.
Should I normally be able to simply replace exe file and be fine?
"Normally" & "in most cases", but... if there is a change, like you've run into, with the .db structure (or whatever)... but that's why you've backed up ahead of time - to be safe.
andymbody

Post by andymbody »

Thank you both!

Andy