Two Drives, separate search - resolved

General discussion related to "Everything".
sfg260

Two Drives, separate search - resolved

Post by sfg260 »

I have two internal drives in my tower PC, the main drive for the OS and a secondary drive as a "data" drive and back up. I was hoping to be able to setup two versions (instances) of Everything, one to search drive "C:" only, and a second version that will search only drive "D:".

I tried installing the portable version, hoping that would not store the options/settings at the same location as the installed version. It does. :( Next I tried using the command line option -config with a shortcut pointing to a different "options" file. That failed as well, not unexpected because I could find no guidance implementing that option. :oops:

So, is this possible to setup two configurations where Everything will scan one drive, but not the other, by activating two different shortcuts? Yes, I understand that the drives can be individually scanned by changing Options->Indexes->NTFS, but I wish to not have to go into Options and make these changes each time I want to do a separate drive search. I'm sure this can be accomplished, I'm just not clever enough to figure it out.

Can anyone help me out? Thanks.
Last edited by sfg260 on Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
void
Developer

Re: Two Drives, separate search

Post by void »

Please try creating another instance of Everything.

Launch Everything with:
Everything.exe -instance D:

Take note of the instance name in the window title bar.
Setup this instance to index only your D: drive under Tools -> Options -> NTFS.

Setup your main unnamed instance to index only your C: drive.
sfg260

Re: Two Drives, separate search - resolved

Post by sfg260 »

Works like a charm. Simple and elegant.

Now that I know the secret, I went back to the "help/Support" page and found the explanation. However, I never would have guessed that "Multiple Instances" was what I needed prior to this being pointed out.

Perhaps there could be a better or more prominent explanation of this feature and what it does, as it is quite useful.

Thanks for the response.