Terabyte update 2023

Off-topic posts of interest to the "Everything" community.
ChrisGreaves

Terabyte update 2023

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Ask Woody's Free edition can be read here.

Will Fastie writes "There are several important trend lines this year."
NL-2023-06-26-fastie-fig-2.png
NL-2023-06-26-fastie-fig-2.png (29.11 KiB) Viewed 6124 times
Too, he has words of wisdom/advice for buying HDD and SDD.

My first hard drive (1985) was 40MB and cost, I think, $400.

Cheers, Chris
therube

Re: Terabyte update 2023

Post by therube »

So he used GB, I suppose, cause he also has SD & RAM in the chart, which kind of makes sense.

But in doing so, for the HDD/SSD you see .03 .04 .05 .06 & you (say to yourself) "oh, they're all about the same", when in reality they're not.

I track $/TB (for HDD/SSD).

As far as the lower capacity, 1 TB (HDD) drives, they can be priced higher (relative to larger capacity drives) cause they're the ones most likely to be OEM'd or picked up on a lark.

Someone will say, wow 1 TB, that's more then I'll ever need, & it's only $50.
Or, I could get a 4 TB, which I'd never use (all the space) for twice the price?
Meh, 1 TB is fine & less money too!
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Sidenote:
SSDs perform better when not filled to the rim. So it is worth buying those a bit "oversized"
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

therube wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:35 pm So he used GB, I suppose, cause he also has SD & RAM in the chart, which kind of makes sense.
Hello again therube. I agree with your analysis, and of course, to get to the source you can take it up with Will Fastie. Will is wrestling with the same kind of problem I am looking at now - indexing distinctly different types of "removable" media. In my study the interface is "user can remove media from a system", but then I have to define a "system" - in my case an HP15 laptop. not network.

Will is comparing spinning platters with SSD with RAM, the modern equivalent of comparing 80-column punched cards with spools of magnetic tape and disk cartridges.

That said, you could ask Will if he can provide a copy of his source data; I suspect he has a worksheet somewhere with much more data than he presents for general user consumption in the form of his published tables!
So it is worth buying those a bit "oversized"
Thirty years ago Gord Campbell's advice for buying a new computer was "Buy the biggest hard drive that you can afford, and then strap a monitor and keyboard onto it", and when I was buying my first laser printer and showed him my analysis he remarked "You only need to examine the HP brand"!

Cheers, Chris
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

ChrisGreaves wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:44 am Thirty years ago Gord Campbell's advice for buying a new computer was "Buy the biggest hard drive that you can afford, and then strap a monitor and keyboard onto it"
ChrisGreaves wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:29 am My first hard drive (1985) was 40MB and cost, I think, $400.
Are you sure you weren't the one giving that advice to him? ;)
(40MB was an insane amount of storage in 1985 ...)
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

NotNull wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:20 pm Are you sure you weren't the one giving that advice to him? ;)
(40MB was an insane amount of storage in 1985 ...)
NotNull, You are correct in winking, We bought the XT chassis in 1985, It was 1988/89 when I bought the 40MB drive. It might have been 20MB. My memory fades as .....
Cheers, Chris