Adjust Columns' width when zooming

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Adjust Columns' width when zooming

Post by Thy Grand Voidinesss »

The ability to zoom in / out in a very quick way to see more / better files and folders presented on the list of result

Unfortunately it affects all elements altogether - and thus the convenience of this feature ends when I zoom in and as a result my carefully adjusted to a single pixel for their widths Columns are able no more to show both their headers and data. For example: my narrow Column for Full Path Length [which will never require room for data consisting of more than 3 digits] instead of showing me just like on zoom 100% [an already truncated] "Full P..." with info e.g. "189" and "67", on zoom 134% it shows me much more ambiguous "F..." with "8..." and "6...". Tihs when I have many Columns turned on, I just do not now which is showing what

Hence I propose making it possible to hard-locking the relative size of Columns when zooming- i.e. to scale their widths in reliance to apparent size of originally [100%] sized text. Although this could be optional - but nevertheless by default turned on. And also it should be then [when optional] to be possible to zoom in both ways, i.e. like it is happening now [with Columns not changing at all] and like I propose it- so that super-users could choose on the fly what kind of zoom to use. This would also implicate adding of a new option

View > Zoom > Reset - Columns Headers

and also maybe renaming the existing one from

View > Zoom > Reset

to

View > Zoom > Reset - All
void
Developer

Re: Adjust Columns' width when zooming

Post by void »

I will consider an option to use logical column widths (that scale with zooming).

Thank you for the suggestion.

I would like to do this by default.
However, Everything currently uses the stock windows header control which does not support scaling.
There's quite a bit of work required to get scaling to work as expected with the stock windows header control..
therube

Post by therube »

Thy Grand Voidinesss

therube wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:26 pm viewtopic.php?p=55253#p55253
So after all my memory does serve me good, as I thought I already had written something about this - but not good enough to remember that it was not a topic started by me [which is why I have not found that before starting this one]
therube

Post by therube »

(oh, that auto-resize of columns...

(or better, manually override - but then revert to some "saved" settings)
would have been really helpful (these last number of days)

as it is, i /could/ copy everything.ini, note the window sizing & column widths,
adjust as i want, then, after the fact go back & revert the new sizes back to
my "default", "saved" settings - manually [but i didn't ;-)])
Thy Grand Voidinesss

I have two sets of settings for Mp3tag and it is a drag to have them constantly load up - outside of program as it, like Everything, does not have a feature for loading them from an option. And for comparison in FreeCommander it is possible - but it is still not as convenient as it would be if user could just push some buttons to immediately adjust Columns an go back to previous or some user defined default settings