Terminolgy - Transient Media

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
ChrisGreaves

Terminolgy - Transient Media

Post by ChrisGreaves »

My time has been soaked up by (1) grass clippings/composting and (2) thinking about how to resolve the term "removable" for users who, like me, think that a removable drive is a drive that can be removed, and a drive that can be removed is a removable drive.

I attach an incomplete document with early thoughts. I have set up NINE media devices to hold the same set of files, and plan to navigate a path of mounting so that any drive/device/media that can be taken offline without a screwdriver will behave in the same way to the user.
Now this may not be possible in all nine of my benchmarks, but if so, at least I will have documented it.

"I want the system to react as follows: Whenever one or more of the transient drives is mounted, its files and their Content: are available to me through the Everything interface. But when the drives are dismounted (physically unconnected to my laptop), then their files and their Content: are NOT available to me through the Everything interface.
A bonus would be a means by which Everything could automatically roll in an existing EFU file of the media whenever the media is off-line.
"

Cheers, Chris
Attachments
TransientMedia.zip
(160.57 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
void
Developer

Re: Terminolgy - Transient Media

Post by void »

But when the drives are dismounted (physically unconnected to my laptop), then their files and their Content: are NOT available to me through the Everything interface.
Offline volumes are shown ghosted. (transparent)

Please try adding a Online Only filter:
  • In Everything 1.5, from the Search menu, click Add to filters....
  • Change the Name to: Online Only.
  • Change the Search to: !offline:
  • Click OK.
Filters can be activated from the Search menu, Filter bar (View -> Filters), right clicking the status bar, filter macro or filter keyboard shortcut.

Keep your volumes in your index at all times.
-Don't check automatically remove offline volumes under Tools -> Options -> FAT/NTFS/ReFS

I use !offline: here as that will match files/folders where they are online or if the online status is unknown.
Using online: will only match files/folders where they are online. (unknown online status will not be matched).
The online status will be unknown for volumes that cannot be monitored, for example: filelists.

online:
offline:

For now, Everything will use the system to determine if a volume is removable.
Specifically, the GetDriveType API.
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

void wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:54 pmonline:offline:
Thank you for this Void. As usual you had anticipated my needs before I articulated them. Off/Online is closer to my needs.
20230620_085130.jpg
20230620_085130.jpg (52.06 KiB) Viewed 5381 times
I have a stack of media populated with files and plan to work my way through them one by one from this user's point of view.
I explored off-line lists with EFUs a couple of months ago, but this time I am looking at what I hope will be "instant recognition" when the media is inserted. This might mean that there are twenty CDs of photos, one from each wedding, so that I know that the media is "Betty's Wedding", but need to explore the disk just once to select a specific photo. Or a USB drive or key labelled "Classical Instrumental" and need to extract a specific file.
I will update this thread as I stumble (grin)

Thanks again.
Chris
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

The number of Transient media continues to grow, and I will not be exercising all my options.
I have found a ten-year old SDCard from a digital camera, and have an adapter for the micro-SDCard from my smartphone.
heh heh.
I will mount both media as plane-Jane devices - no encryption or funny stuff.
The micro-SDCard will be left formatted as it is - it is a day-to-day device on a smart phone - but the old camera card I have reformatted as FAT.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (66.43 KiB) Viewed 5369 times
Three options were offered FAT, FAT32, NTFS.
Given my desire for a seamless recognition of transient media, which of the three options might be best for this trial?
I have not yet experimented with the on/offline filter. I am still uncovering old media, formatting/encrypting, and loading with my sample file set.
Thanks for any hints, Chris
void
Developer

Post by void »

I recommend using the default FAT for micro-SDcards for compatibility with devices.