Suggestion: Search in Help menu.

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
lsx

Suggestion: Search in Help menu.

Post by lsx »

There are too many items in the Help menu. I hope it can enter keywords and get filtered results.

Suggestion:
Add an input box at top or bottom position of the Help menu. Each line of "command+description" in the Help menu is considered as an item, the description text should be using current language pack.
The search logic is match every keywords separated by spaces. Multiple keywords are connected by "AND" operators, and it is case-insensitive.

For example:
If I enter "size kb" in the search syntax window, it will get the following results:

Code: Select all

size[kb|mb|gb]
	tiny	0 KB < size <= 10 KB
	small	10 KB < size <= 100 KB
	medium	100 KB < size <= 1 MB
void
Developer

Re: Suggestion: Search in Help menu.

Post by void »

I will consider a search option for the help dialog.

Thank you for the suggestion.

I have on my TODO list to add syntax information to the main search window.
For example, when you type in size: in the main search box, the syntax is shown as a tooltip.

There is also the Search -> Advanced Search to help with learning the Everything search syntax.
lsx

Post by lsx »

"Advanced Search" is a good idea. Thanks for your advice.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Post by Thy Grand Voidinesss »

What Help menu? Where

Help > Everything Help F1

is a link leading to viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12666

Do you mean the 3 following entries below this first entry in Help drop down list?
lsx

Post by lsx »

Thy Grand Voidinesss wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 7:49 pm What Help menu? Where

Help > Everything Help F1

is a link leading to viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12666

Do you mean the 3 following entries below this first entry in Help drop down list?
I mean these 3 sub menu in "Help" menu:
- Search Syntax
- Regular Expression Syntax
- Command Line Options

By the way, I always type the search syntax into the search box directly. So I haven't used the "Advanced Search" function that the second reply mentioned (and therefore, I often need to learn the search syntax). But now I think this is a way to solve my problem.
Last edited by lsx on Mon May 29, 2023 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

If a search box fo them is implemented, then it should have options [buttons] for:
● turning it on and off [i.e. applying of a filtering expression]
● unfolding a list of history expressions
● removing a filtering expression from the history list
● wiping clean of history
lsx

Post by lsx »

Thy Grand Voidinesss wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:22 am If a search box fo them is implemented, then it should have options [buttons] for:
● turning it on and off [i.e. applying of a filtering expression]
● unfolding a list of history expressions
● removing a filtering expression from the history list
● wiping clean of history
I am not great opposed. But I don't think this search tool bar needs to be complicated, because maybe it will bring a lot of work, and it won't be used frequently.

I count it, there are about 200 "Search Syntax" and 200 "Command Line Options" in total. It maybe difficult to find the location without using a filter but using the scroll bar.

My suggestion is like having a global search bar in the upper left corner of the settings menu in "PyCharm" software.
This is what I described. I don't know if you understand what I mean.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

For comparison: in filemanager FreeCommander there was Quick Filter box feature for quick finding of items visible to user in a given moment / location [an equivalent of Search Edit in Everything]. And after years it was copied over to a special toolbar [called Splitter] where it helps now o seek through dozens of commands [shortcuts in form of icons]

What I am saying is that maybe Search Edit could be copied to Help; or whatever would be created from scratch for Help with time could be maybe used also in other places of Everything