Folder Alias support

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
skillz231

Folder Alias support

Post by skillz231 »

An indexer I used for a long time prior to switching to Everything allowed me to replace the first part of the indexed folder path with a substitute name or alias. for example:

\\not\fun\very\long\path\on\the\network\project A

could be replaced with 'project A' or 'proj A' or 'whatever' alias (i.e., it would show up in the search results that way).

So \\not\fun\very\long\path\on\the\network\project A\subfolder1

Would show up as: project A\subfolder1

There is a way to do this to some extent by mapping windows drives to different network share folders, but that is impractical in my case for a few reasons I won't get into.

While I can effectively bypass the pain of searching into these projects by assigning a filter to a macro keyword, ('proj A' then searches for \\not\fun\very\long\path\on\the\network\project A), there are the massively long network paths that show up in the results.

This is in a corporate environment, were I have no control over the paths being extremely long most of the time, and with many projects set up like this.

The end result is twofold:
1) The path column in the search results window has to be exceedingly wide, most of which is irrelevant fluff showing a really long network base path that's completely irrelevant
2) As a secondary issue, this causes a lot of visual clutter (at least from what I am used to previously)

I don't expect this to be an option, just asking about it before posting as a potential suggestion. I may go back and examine my options for mapping certain folders to windows drives to help minimize the visual clutter, but I don't think that is going to work for me in all cases
raccoon

Re: Folder Alias support

Post by raccoon »

See if either of these settings in Everything 1.5 Alpha are useful to you.

/path_ellipsis=1

or

/path_narrow=1

You may also be able to ask your boss for a wider, higher resolution, computer monitor.
Last edited by raccoon on Thu May 25, 2023 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please consider:

Mapping the UNC path as a drive letter:

net use a: "\\not\fun\very\long\path\on\the\network\project A"
A: => \\not\fun\very\long\path\on\the\network\project A

Creating a directory symbolic link:

cd c:\projects
mklink /d A "\\not\fun\very\long\path\on\the\network\project A"
C:\Projects\A => \\not\fun\very\long\path\on\the\network\project A

Use folder indexing (Tools -> Options -> Folders) to add the drive or folder from above.

To mount volumes to any location (doesn't really work for UNC paths in your situation):
In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
Click FAT/NTFS/ReFS on the left.
Double click the volume and specify the mount location.
Please note: Everything will open files with the specified mount location.

I will consider an option to rewrite paths for search/display purposes.
Thank you for the suggestion.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

@void, can we extend path_ellipsis to accept values of 0,1,2,3,4,5,... to indicate how many right-hand paths to be preserved (right of the ellipsis)? Or would this break /path_ellipsis=! toggle? I would use a value of 2 or 3.
void
Developer

Post by void »

I'll consider another ini setting to control how many right-hand paths to preserve.

Thank you for the suggestion.