Filter to not match path

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
skillz231

Filter to not match path

Post by skillz231 »

New user and trying to figure out some of the basics...

I generally prefer to search with Match Path enabled and would prefer my default search to stay that way.

I would also like to search for a file or folder to be only in the 'Name' column sometimes, i.e., limit the search to the lowest level of the folder tree (typically to limit the folder list returned to not have subfolders of the folder being searched for).

Currently I can do this by toggling the Match Path option (Ctrl+U) in the middle of my search, however this also has to be undone after-the-fact if I want to keep the default search setup intact to match paths the next time a search is performed.

What I was looking for was a way to keep the Match Path option enabled by default, but disable it by typing something for the search. This could be any number of things, but I envisioned as potentially one of the following

1) typing !path: for example--probably not the right syntax, but to illustrate my point
2) possibly assigning a filter to a macro with the 'Match path' box checked (let's say it's assigned to 'macroterm'), and therefore be able to selectively disable the Match Path option simply by adding "macroterm:" to my search. I tried to do this with both a blank search filter as well as a search for *.* but it didn't work the way I was hoping it might.

Is there possibly some way to do this and assign a term to selectively disable Match Path for that search query?
void
Developer

Re: Filter to not match path

Post by void »

To set the default Match Path state:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Home tab on the left.
  • Set Match Path to: enabled/disabled/use-last-value.
  • Click OK.
Use path: or nopath: in your search text to override the Search -> Match Path setting.

path:
no-path:
skillz231

Post by skillz231 »

That seems logical but doesn't work for me...

i.e., Search -> Match Path = Enabled

Then add a folder to the search bar: 'test'
(returns results with 'test' anywhere in the filename or path)

Then add 'nopath:' to the search
(still returns results with 'test' anywhere in the 'Path', i.e., some items in the 'Name' column do not have 'test' in the name)

Search terms in reverse order don't help either ('nopath: test')

Toggling the Match Path option via Ctrl+U with either of these search queries returns results as expected.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please make sure there's no space between nopath: and test

nopath:test

Everything will treat the space as the AND operator and sees nopath:* AND test

Use double quotes to escape spaces:
nopath:"test 123"
skillz231

Post by skillz231 »

rookie mistake... most excellent--thank you!