Any plan to add some AI?

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
eagleeyez

Any plan to add some AI?

Post by eagleeyez »

Hi David,

I would like to know if you have a plan to add a zest of AI to this already astonishing software? I am not asking this question based on hype, but rather because I see significant potential for improvement, such as having AI write the search query or RegEx, or having AI create a database of images contents (description or tags). Furthermore, I understand that maybe you prefer to keep this as it is right now, but perhaps some would develop plugins that add some features will find something to work on if we gather some ideas.

And I have tons of other ideas or suggestions.
void
Developer

Re: Any plan to add some AI?

Post by void »

I will consider adding AI in a future release.

Thank you for the suggestion.
eagleeyez

Post by eagleeyez »

I appreciate your consideration and look forward to future releases.
javanius

Post by javanius »

Yes, using prompts to search for files, etc. makes things much faster and easier.
For example: "list all files with the word cat in the filename, filename with no more than 11 characters, extension pdf or docx."
It would be even more awesome if we could say this prompt out loud!
therube

Post by therube »

(Not that I know what "AI" is, but I am against "AI", against anything that dehumanizes humans.
So basically I'm against all that is "great", these days - except for Everything, of course.

ChatGPT Is a Blurry JPEG of the Web)
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

Before I'm finished typing
"list all files with the word cat in the filename, filename with no more than 11 characters, extension pdf or docx."
I have already typed the few words to make such a search, next time with bookmark.
The next wish is then to enter such queries by voice recognition.
All programming efforts in this are a waste of time at the current state.
javanius

Post by javanius »

I think AI is a great tool. Like any tool, if it is used correctly, great things can be done. If it's used incorrectly, of course, it may not be good for people. Since we will use it for good purposes here, I don't see a problem. I think it is right to use artificial intelligence in "Everything" because it will make our work much easier.

Thanks to void, we have an incredible number of commands to make things easier for us and to find what we are looking for faster. But sometimes people forget the necessary commands. It is also a bit more difficult to use these commands for those who use the computer for simpler tasks.

Instead, when we write what we want as a prompt, there will be no need to keep many commands in mind. Or there will be no need to go and look in the Help file. And even those who use the computer like our grandmothers will find "Everything" easier to use. So the number of people using "Everything" will be much higher.

As for voice commands, that is a great convenience in itself. That's what I meant in my previous message, but maybe I didn't express it well because of my poor English.
javanius

Post by javanius »

I have been using "Everything" for a long time with great admiration and pleasure. I follow its updates almost every day and I recommend it to my friends and family. It is one of my most important programs.

Artificial intelligence, in my opinion - even though it is still in its infancy - has closed a new era and opened a new era. I believe it is much more important than the invention of the Internet. I am not a very good programmer. A few days ago, I solved a difficult software problem using artificial intelligence, which I could not do years ago, even though I tried very hard. This is an amazing thing.

Sooner or later all programs will use artificial intelligence. The early adopters will always have an advantage.
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

I think AI has a lot of potential. Any system where you only regularly use part of the potential of, you benefit from help with the other part that you are not or are only occasionally using.
In the interim it could be that someone could arrange a webpage set up to do an AI query against the documentation to create a similar sort of 'AI helper'.
David
eagleeyez

Post by eagleeyez »

javanius wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:08 pm As for voice commands, that is a great convenience in itself. That's what I meant in my previous message, but maybe I didn't express it well because of my poor English.
Why not use AI to express that better for you? It does a remarkable job (not just ChatGPT) but some extensions and services are amazing in this aspect, please let me know if you want me to share some names and urls!

We live in an era where language barriers are no-more and even the lack of being to express ourselves properly is something of the past already.
eagleeyez

Post by eagleeyez »

meteorquake wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:11 pm I think AI has a lot of potential. Any system where you only regularly use part of the potential of, you benefit from help with the other part that you are not or are only occasionally using.
In the interim it could be that someone could arrange a webpage set up to do an AI query against the documentation to create a similar sort of 'AI helper'.
David
I agree and that would be a great idea, and it is straightforward to do right now. It would require less than a couple of hours to refine a model to serve as an assistant with Everything documentation, providing answers to the majority of inquiries and aiding in the discovery of solutions, by tailoring RegEx for specific scenarios, among other things.
eagleeyez

Post by eagleeyez »

Guys,

Maybe we should put up something to gather ideas for what could be possible and useful to have some AI added to Everything, a sort of inspiration list (kanban style)... So everyone could come up with scenarios where AI would do things better and faster than what they actually are.

For instance, as an example, and please refrain from being harsh, "I would appreciate the presence of an agent that can monitor certain types of files and verify if some are newer, and recommend the deletion of outdated versions of software downloaded installers (or archives). That helps me save space and keep things up-to-date and organized by doing multiple things (that could be, of course, divided into small chained tasks or processes). It automagically SymLink (Hard link) files/folders even if they don't have the same name (via hash) coupled with an in-depth understanding of various scenarios where that wouldn't be a good idea."

I believe in manifestation and the fact that we try to imagine how things should be, then somehow it will become possible to make them this way. By challenging our imagination to its limits, we can adopt a novel approach to operating and doing things.
javanius

Post by javanius »

eagleeyez,
I think it's a brilliant idea.
I believe that if it can be implemented, there will be very inspiring and beautiful ideas.
There is an expression in Turkish: "The mind is superior to the mind."
therube

Post by therube »

(Wait till AI tells you...
- drop to a C: prompt, type RD /Q /S & hit Enter
- the end is near, Hit the button!
;-).)

[Don't do either, unless this is the button, https://i0.wp.com/www.theimpulsivebuy.c ... utton.jpeg.]