Call Everything prompt from VBA

Plug-in and third party software discussion.
tanko

Call Everything prompt from VBA

Post by tanko »

I've read the SDK documentation and a the various VBA threads on this board, but I haven't found an answer to what seems like should be an easy question. I am writing a simple VBA macro (MS Outlook) that I want to behave as follows: user clicks a "Save Email" button, the button opens an Everything search window (filtered to folders only), user selects a folder, the selected folder's path is passed to a variable in the VBA script, which then runs to save the email in the path selected. However, I can't seem to figure out how to open the search window. What am I missing?

Thanks for your help!
NotNull

Re: Call Everything prompt from VBA

Post by NotNull »

What does your current VBA code look like? (Please post)
tanko

Post by tanko »

Sure, here it is:

Code: Select all

Sub SaveSelectedEmail()

' Set variables
    Dim ns As Outlook.NameSpace
    Dim inbox As Outlook.MAPIFolder
    Dim item As Outlook.MailItem
    Dim strFileName As String
    Dim xSelection As Outlook.Selection
    Dim xFolderPath As String
    Dim oTopic As String
    Dim strFileExists As String

Set xSelection = Outlook.Application.ActiveExplorer.Selection
    Set item = xSelection.item(1)

''------EVERYTHING------

'[EVERYTHING STUFF GOES HERE]
    '[Should call an Everything prompt and then pass the filepath results back as "xFolderPath"]

''------End------

oTopic = InputBox("VERY briefly, what is the topic of this message?  E.g. 'Lease Termination'", "Topic")

' Set namespace
    Set ns = Application.GetNamespace("MAPI")
    ' Get inbox folder
    Set inbox = ns.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderInbox)
    ' Loop through all mail items

' Set filename
        strFileName = xFolderPath & VBA.Format(item.ReceivedTime, "yyyy.mm.dd", vbUseSystemDayOfWeek) & " - " & item.SenderName & " - " & oTopic & ".msg"
        ' Check if this filename already exists
        strFileExists = Dir(strFileName)
        If strFileExists <> "" Then
            MsgBox ("File with this name already exists. Try again with a different topic description.")
        Else
        ' Save mail item to file system
            item.SaveAs strFileName, olMSG
        End If

EndSub:
    Set item = Nothing
    Set strFileExists = Nothing
End Sub
My Everything functions are stored in a separate module called "Everything":

Code: Select all

Option Explicit

'Note: sample copied from https://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/sdk/visual_basic/
'Replaced for VBA usage
' - UINT32 with LONG
' - UINT64 with LARGE_INTEGER
' - INTPtr with LONGPtr
' - System.Text.StringBuilder with String
' - System.DateTime with String
' - filename.Capacity with filesize

Private Type LARGE_INTEGER
    lowpart As Long
    highpart As Long
End Type

Public Declare PtrSafe Function Everything_SetSearchW Lib "C:\SDK\Everything32.dll" (ByVal ins As LongPtr) As Long
Public Declare PtrSafe Function Everything_SetRequestFlags Lib "C:\SDK\Everything32.dll" (ByVal dwRequestFlags As Long) As Long
Public Declare PtrSafe Function Everything_QueryW Lib "C:\SDK\Everything32.dll" (ByVal bWait As Integer) As Integer
Public Declare PtrSafe Function Everything_GetNumResults Lib "C:\SDK\Everything32.dll" () As Long
Public Declare PtrSafe Function Everything_GetResultFileNameW Lib "C:\SDK\Everything32.dll" (ByVal index As Long) As LongPtr
Public Declare PtrSafe Function Everything_GetLastError Lib "C:\SDK\Everything32.dll" () As Long
Public Declare PtrSafe Function Everything_GetResultFullPathNameW Lib "C:\SDK\Everything32.dll" (ByVal index As Long, ByVal ins As LongPtr, ByVal size As Long) As Long
Public Declare PtrSafe Function Everything_GetResultSize Lib "C:\SDK\Everything32.dll" (ByVal index As Long, ByRef size As LARGE_INTEGER) As Integer         'size UInt32
Public Declare PtrSafe Function Everything_GetResultDateModified Lib "C:\SDK\Everything32.dll" (ByVal index As Long, ByRef ft As LARGE_INTEGER) As Integer   'ft UInt64

Public Const EVERYTHING_REQUEST_FILE_NAME = &H1
Public Const EVERYTHING_REQUEST_PATH = &H2
Public Const EVERYTHING_REQUEST_FULL_PATH_AND_FILE_NAME = &H4
Public Const EVERYTHING_REQUEST_EXTENSION = &H8
Public Const EVERYTHING_REQUEST_SIZE = &H10
Public Const EVERYTHING_REQUEST_DATE_CREATED = &H20
Public Const EVERYTHING_REQUEST_DATE_MODIFIED = &H40
Public Const EVERYTHING_REQUEST_DATE_ACCESSED = &H80
Public Const EVERYTHING_REQUEST_ATTRIBUTES = &H100
Public Const EVERYTHING_REQUEST_FILE_LIST_FILE_NAME = &H200
Public Const EVERYTHING_REQUEST_RUN_COUNT = &H400
Public Const EVERYTHING_REQUEST_DATE_RUN = &H800
Public Const EVERYTHING_REQUEST_DATE_RECENTLY_CHANGED = &H1000
Public Const EVERYTHING_REQUEST_HIGHLIGHTED_FILE_NAME = &H2000
Public Const EVERYTHING_REQUEST_HIGHLIGHTED_PATH = &H4000
Public Const EVERYTHING_REQUEST_HIGHLIGHTED_FULL_PATH_AND_FILE_NAME = &H8000

Public Type FILETIME
    dwLowDateTime As Long
    dwHighDateTime As Long
End Type

Public Type SYSTEMTIME
    wYear As Integer
    wMonth As Integer
    wDayOfWeek As Integer
    wDay As Integer
    wHour As Integer
    wMinute As Integer
    wSecond As Integer
    wMilliseconds As Integer
End Type

Private Declare PtrSafe Function FileTimeToSystemTime Lib "kernel32" (ByRef ft As LARGE_INTEGER, lpSystemTime As SYSTEMTIME) As Long
Private Declare PtrSafe Function SystemTimeToTzSpecificLocalTime Lib "kernel32" (ByVal tzi As LongPtr, lpst As SYSTEMTIME, lplt As SYSTEMTIME) As Long
Private Declare PtrSafe Function SystemTimeToVariantTime Lib "OLEAUT32.DLL" (lpSystemTime As SYSTEMTIME, vtime As Date) As Long

NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Thanks for posting, tanko.

On second thought: the SDK won't help you much here. It is meant to query the Everything database and do something with the results you get back from that, like creating your own list to present and to select from.

Firing up "regular" Everything is definitely possible, but the SDK has no way to get to the folder that was selected (at least: to my best of knowledge).

(A slightly modified) JumpToFolder -- which you are already aware of as you posted in it's thread -- might better fit your needs.
Or Listary, which has more or less the same functionality aboard.
tanko

Post by tanko »

Yup, I started with JumpToFolder, but I'm stuck on the right click launch method. I'm writing this macro for a tech-skeptical user base (lawyers in my law firm) and I need to make it as painless as possible or it simply will not be used. Hence I'm trying to launch the everything window on button click and then pass the resulting filepath back to the macro.

I was thinking of calling the Everything search via a shell command in VBA, but I can't think of a way to make it pass the filepath back.

I have been trying out listary, but so far it's not quite right for this application for a couple of reasons.
tanko

Post by tanko »

Is it possible to change the JumpToFolder code so that it runs the StartEverything function when the SaveAs dialog or the Folder Picker dialog appears? I looked at the AHK code and it seems like it might be possible, but I'm extremely unfamiliar with AHK, and a novice coder generally.
AutoSoft

Post by AutoSoft »

my email:xiaoyaocode
----
@ 163.com
maybe you need get search result ,and show file save dialog