2 ini files

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
CityguyUSA

2 ini files

Post by CityguyUSA »

Running multiple computers setup is a bitch so what I'd like to see, and maybe there's a way to do this already, a way to separate the ini items that are special for the machine it's running on vs the format or layout of the fonts and things that one would like to share across machines using symbolic links say. The servers, the drives, the ETP connection info + whatever else makes sense in one ini and the rest in another. Doesn't have to be an ini it could be a file that would be included on the command line/shortcut to set the things that are special to that particular machine. Then I could share the ini file and include a machines specific file either in the folder or on the shortcut. This is especially helpful where you're setting a lot of layout info.

Yeah I could copy the ini and overlay the machine specific values but then every time there's a change I have to redo that. Yeah, I could write a script but there's currently no scripting language I'm good at without spending a decent amount of time figuring it out even including cmd.

But from your side splitting out the data in the options to write to 2 different files or splitting the "tabs" into 2 different options seems fairly easy. Essentially a clone of the existing and removing the things that no longer apply to each option setup.
therube

Re: 2 ini files

Post by therube »

(That's called, user.js ;-).
user.js overrides settings in prefs.js.

So in Everything speak, it would be something like user.ini overrides settings in Everything.ini.
And you would copy your user.ini from one computer to another.
[Now, that doesn't exist, but...])
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

(Moved to the Suggestions forum as that is currently not possible without scripting)
CityguyUSA wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:47 pm Yeah I could copy the ini and overlay the machine specific values but then every time there's a change I have to redo that.
What is "that" in this case? The user specific settings or the machine specific settings?

BTW: There might be more machine-specific settings than expected. For example DPI or even positions of windows/dialogs (due to different monitor resolutions/setups.)
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything does have two Everything.ini files.
Machine settings are stored in the same location as your Everything.exe.
User settings are stored in %APPDATA%\Everything

However, user settings will contain information about what drives to index that are machine dependent.

I recommend just copying a user Everything.ini to the other PCs and adjust what is indexed when running Everything for the first time.
You can press Ctrl + Break to cancel the indexing process. (or right click the indexing progress bar and click cancel)

If you are automating the installation of Everything, consider the following call before launching Everything for the first time:

Everything.exe -no-auto-include -volumes c:;d:;e:

where c:, d: and e: drives are the volumes you wish for Everything to index.

-no-auto-include
-volumes

I will consider support for categories under Tools -> Import/Export...
For example, export "Fonts and Colors" and "View" settings, import only "Home" settings, etc..

Thank you for the suggestions.