adding Folder/Drive Dynamically to everything Temporarily

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
InfoR3aper

adding Folder/Drive Dynamically to everything Temporarily

Post by InfoR3aper »

So right now I use an app called TreeSize there is also another one out there called WhizTree.

The 1 thing TreeSize and WhizTree can do right now that I do not think Everything can is the ability to right click any folder/drive and instantly index it.

This is an extremely useful feature especially when "cleaning" a drive or folder before adding it to Everything DB.

Basically the idea is that everything would have 2 context menus, 1 for the normal search but a 2nd maybe called instant search or whatever where Everything realizes it needs to build a DB for that directory dynamically in memory temporarily.

I am not sure how easy or hard this is, but thought it was worth mentioning.

An example is that I never allow Everything to Index any C: drive since by default all my computers never save any data there except APP Data etc.

But there are times I need to check certain folders like say the Google\DriveFS folder.

When doing heavy cleaning and file moving on GDrive the DB for Gdrive gets excessive and slows it down.

So when I see Google using that much space I can simply log out, delete the folder contents and log back in.

But really the Main Feature of Everything being able to do this is actually cleaning up Network Drives and Folders located anywhere before having Everything index them for long term use.
void
Developer

Re: adding Folder/Drive Dynamically to everything Temporarily

Post by void »

Please check out Index This
Phlashman

Post by Phlashman »

At the bottom of that thread the question is asked if it works with 1.5a, and the answer was NO :(
Any updates?
void
Developer

Post by void »

If you are not using Everything 1.4, please try disabling the Everything 1.5 alpha instance.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

Phlashman wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:47 am At the bottom of that thread the question is asked if it works with 1.5a, and the answer was NO :(
Any updates?
Version 2019-12-18 of IndexThis runs fine for me with the actual Everything Alpha.
My Everything config is set to not use an Alpha instance.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Will write and post a new version tonight that supports 1.4 and all (?) 1.5 constellations.
(if real-life does not intervene ..)

EDIT:
Posting is postponed to tomorrow as I need some technical details of Everything from @void first (and he lives on what is currently "the dark side of the earth")

The good news: Here it works with 1.4 as well as 1.5. Will probably work in most circumstances.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Phlashman wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:47 am At the bottom of that thread the question is asked if it works with 1.5a, and the answer was NO :(
Any updates?
And now the answer is YES as I just posted an updated version :D
(be sure to read the instructions too as they changed significantly)

IndexThis