How to open the result folder in the current File Explorer window ? and avoid creating a new one

General discussion related to "Everything".
christophe

How to open the result folder in the current File Explorer window ? and avoid creating a new one

Post by christophe »

Hi, How can we open Everything folder results in the current File Explorer window ?

Currently when we click on functionlist here, a brand new File Explorer window show up. As consequence you have dozen of File Explorer windows !

This situation is particularly annoyging since Windows 11 22H2 , as we now just need a single and unique File Explorer window thanks to the Tabs feature.
therube

Re: How to open the result folder in the current File Explorer window ? and avoid creating a new one

Post by therube »

I'm not sure, but you can try & see...

Tools | Options | General -> Context Menu --> Explore

(&/or Explore Path, & I'm not sure why one or the other, particularly)

Change from:
$exec("%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe" /n,/e,"%1")

to:
$exec("%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe" /e,"%1")

& see if that makes a difference?
christophe

Re: How to open the result folder in the current File Explorer window ? and avoid creating a new one

Post by christophe »

I have modified the configuration as you recommended :
  • For Explorer:
  • For Explorer Path:
But even after restarting the PC, I still have a new File Explorer window being opened when clicking on a Everything result folder :cry:
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

There is still no Explorer switch to get open in a new tab from a command line.
Nevertheless tools like Listary and QAP can do it.
christophe

Post by christophe »

I also wonder how it is even feasible to use a Everything without this essential feature.
(and using a 3rd party File Explorer is not the solution: I have tried them not one is able to manage all the features of cloud storage of OneDrive and Google Drive)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Did you try Q-Dir too?
That is basically a dressed-up File Explorer with 1,2,3 or 4 panes (with tabs)
christophe

Post by christophe »

I have never tried Q-Dir, does it implement the File Explorer full features ?
  • like all features of OneDrive ?
  • all features of google Drive ?
  • and has a fully dark mode ?

I have tried File Explorer alternatives, that are reported as being the best of their class and they ALL completely failed to deliver an experience better than the product they are supposed to supersede :
  • Directory Opus: Only partial Dark mode, preferences are fully light, even the find panel which is always opened in real life scenario.
  • Total Commander: It does not even have Google Drive sync file status, so impossible to use Google Drive with this tool.
  • XYplorer:It does not even have OneDrive status icon online/offline/synchronized . So completely useless tool.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Q-Dir has a fully dark mode.

One drive/Google Drive integration you will have to test for yourself.
(don't run it as administrator)