Everything server

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
Laus

Everything server

Post by Laus »

Hi!

What does the Everything server share; just the full qualified files names, or does it include file attributes, or even indexed properties?
Do I need to index properties I only need on the computer using network index on the computer running Everything server, or do I need to index properties on both computers? Can the computer using Network Index tell the computer running Everything server what needs to be indexed?

Thanks for reading, Laus
NotNull

Re: Everything server

Post by NotNull »

Everything Server does not support making properties and content available (yet). It is on the todo-list.
Laus wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:59 am Can the computer using Network Index tell the computer running Everything server what needs to be indexed?
No, the Everything Server need to be configured locally. All updates to the Server index are communicated instantaneous to all "subscribed" clients, to be included in their local index.
Laus

Post by Laus »

Ok, got it.

Thanks a lot, Laus
nemoW

Post by nemoW »

NotNull wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:06 am Everything Server does not support making properties and content available (yet). It is on the todo-list.
Thanks, glad to know that sharing Properties is already on the todo-list for Everything Server.
djones

Post by djones »

Another vote for indexed Properties to be made available to clients of Everything Server.

I was ecstatic to discover certain Properties could be indexed for instant-sort, but then on the client Everything instance I realized the indexed properties were still sorting slowly and so I assumed I had configured something wrong somewhere.

Glad to hear it's not a configuration issue and on the to-do list. Regardless, Everything Server has been a nice step up from some of the limitations present in ETP server mode. Very happy overall, this software and developer are amazing.