Everything problem with M.2 external Hard disk

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
sk2107

Everything problem with M.2 external Hard disk

Post by sk2107 »

Hello Everybody,
I spent 5 days testing this case to make sure that it is as I will describe (of course it is just for brain storming but if there an explanation and solution, that would be great ).

I connected a new M.2 500GB external Hard disk and started copying data to it, I faced a problem that it disconnects every time after 30 to 60 minutes (even if there is no transactions), I change the enclosure 3 times and tried other computers but the same problem (Even I formatted the HD many times, tested MBR, GPT, NTFS,FAT32,partetioning,....,etc. but nothing worked).

But the day before yesterday I had to disable Everything for some reason while trying to test the copy again (was not my intention to link both matters together) and the copy of 450 GB was completed successfully and I left the hard disk connected for more than 10 hours and it was still active. Until then I could not figure why. After a while I started Everything and continued to work, suddenly in 30 minutes the hard disk was disconnected.

All the computers I tried have Everything installed in it and I have 5 external SSD HDDs with higher sizes did not face this issue except this one (the only m.2 I have).

After that I spent all today testing this theory that: when Everything is running this thing happens. and if I exclude the drive from indexing everything goes fine.

As I mentioned before it is not a big deal but a case I wanted to share.

Regards
horst.epp

Re: Everything problem with M.2 external Hard disk

Post by horst.epp »

Your post is missing any version info for Everything and the OS :(
Did you try it with the actual Alpha 1.5 version ?
sk2107

Post by sk2107 »

Everything Version 1.5.0.1331a and the case was tested under windows 7 32bit and windows 10 64bit.

Regards
void
Developer

Post by void »

What's the exact hardware model?

I would like to run some tests here.

For now, some ideas:

Please try disabling no_incur_seek_penalty_multithreaded:
  • Copy and paste the following into your Everything search box:
    /no_incur_seek_penalty_multithreaded=0
  • Press ENTER in your Everything search box.
  • If successful, no_incur_seek_penalty_multithreaded=0 is shown in the status bar for a few seconds.
    (the default is: /no_incur_seek_penalty_multithreaded=1 )
no_incur_seek_penalty_multithreaded

If the external drive is connected via USB, please try a shorter cable.

Try disabling monitor changes from Tools -> Options -> NTFS -> m.2 drive -> Uncheck Monitor changes
-This will help determine if it's the indexing, displaying of results or the monitors causing trouble.
sk2107

Post by sk2107 »

Hi,

- HDD model : Kingston m.2 500 GB.
- Enclosure type: ORICO M.2 NVMe SSD.

- "/no_incur_seek_penalty_multithreaded=0" : after applying the command, it worked for 1 hour 15 minutes and disconnected after that.

- No problems after disabling "monitor changes" and keeping the "Include in database" ON: I left the device working continuously with scheduled copy and delete actions for 11 hours and it was fine, and when I enabled the "monitor changes" it lasted for 15 minutes and disconnected.

AS I mentioned before that I have 5 external SSD HDDs with higher sizes did not face this issue, and one time I connected 3 of them along with the local drive and got more than 3 million file name list without any trouble. and they were connected for a long time as I was rearranging the files and folders in those hard disks (which Everything capabilities helped a lot).

Hope these information helps.

Best Regards
w64bit

Post by w64bit »

Could be related to automatic hibernation function in the enclosure.
For my Ugreen enclosure there is a utility to turn off this "feature".
sk2107

Post by sk2107 »

Hi,

I disabled the automatic hibernation for all USB ports and the windows hibernation as well, but still the same issue.

Thank you for your contribution.

Best Regards
sk2107

Post by sk2107 »

sk2107 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:24 pm - "/no_incur_seek_penalty_multithreaded=0" : after applying the command, it worked for 1 hour 15 minutes and disconnected after that.
I noticed that after applying this command, the time was increased by around one hour extra.

Regards
w64bit

Post by w64bit »

sk2107 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:20 pm I disabled the automatic hibernation for all USB ports and the windows hibernation as well, but still the same issue.
... the hibernation (idle timer) inside the enclosure, not in the ports or OS.
example of an enclosure with ASmedia chip:
222.png
222.png (143.63 KiB) Viewed 2015 times
sk2107

Post by sk2107 »

I will check that thanks
sk2107

Post by sk2107 »

Hi,

I searched the web for the sake of knowledge about something which could disable Automatic hibernation for my enclosure but could not get any.

But I don't think this is what causing the problem here because the problem is limited to Everything monitoring (it took a week to figure this out), so when disable monitoring feature in Everything for this drive it goes continuously without any issues until I disconnect it manually (and for hours its IDLE) , but when I Enable monitoring feature in Everything it takes between 30 minutes an hour and disconnects while performing copy or delete or nothing (total disconnect and not hanging or anything else), second when monitoring is ON, this means that Everything is trying to read and index so it continuously live.

I know it is a weird situation but surely there is something happening.

Regards
sk2107

Post by sk2107 »

Hello,

The last test I tried is: (the drive letter is M:)
in indexes - NTFS I put all options off, and added the it to indexes - Folders I put the settings as in the attached image. Unfortunately the same.
2023-03-08 20 28 46.jpg
2023-03-08 20 28 46.jpg (89.06 KiB) Viewed 1969 times
2023-03-08 20 29 27.jpg
2023-03-08 20 29 27.jpg (123.68 KiB) Viewed 1969 times
Best Regards
sk2107

Post by sk2107 »

Additional test: I set Indexes - Folders to Never rescan and waited for 4 hours and everything was fine.
Now I pressed Rescan Now, the list was updates but it the drive disconnected after 15 minutes.

Regards