Whatsapp problems

Off-topic posts of interest to the "Everything" community.
anmac1789

Whatsapp problems

Post by anmac1789 »

This question is about Whatsapp. The date modified is updated after receiving the 1st duplicate picture. However, date created remains the same.

The devices I am using:
PC: Windows 10 x64
Iphone X on iOS 16.3 (test device to send pictures)
Samsung Galaxy S8 on android 9 (device with the actual illustrated problem)

Here are the steps to reproduce the problem,
1. Take a random picture or download a picture from the internet
2. Attach the picture from step 1 and send it to a contact in whatsapp
3. Import the picture from galaxy s8 to PC by right clicking on the galaxy s8 in windows explorer and selecting "import pictures and videos" save it to the C drive
4. Wait until 5-10 minutes have elapsed
5. re-send the same picture from step 2 to the same contact
6. Import the SAME picture from galaxy s8 to PC by right clicking on the galaxy s8 in windows explorer and selecting "import pictures and videos" to a DIFFERENT folder
7. Compare the filename and timestamps of the SAME photo imported from step 3 and step 6.

The difference that I found is that the date created and date modified of the photo is the date when the photo was first received after import. The date modified changes and updates every time the same photo is received. Shouldn't every photo received have a different filename even if it's the same photo. For example,

original photo received:
filename: IMG-20230301-WA0000.jpg
date created: ‎March ‎1, ‎2023, ‏‎2:55:58 PM
date modified: March ‎1, ‎2023, ‏‎2:55:58 PM

receiving the same photo after X minutes or X hours:
filename: IMG-20230301-WA0000.jpg --> IMG-20230301-WA0001.jpg (for the same photo)
date created: ‎March ‎1, ‎2023, ‏‎2:55:58 PM --> set new date/time of the 1st duplicate
date modified: March ‎1, ‎2023, ‏‎2:55:58 PM --> set new date/time of the 1st duplicate

In this way, you are ensuring that yes, duplicates are being created but also, it is much easier to find duplicates because if they are the same photo, the size would be the same and the filename would be slightly different. This makes finding duplicates easier. I hope this provides some clarification.

There is also another problem with the WAXXXX numbers. After, I deleted a sent photo and re-sending the same photo, on the receiving phone, the -WA0003 number increased. Why is this ? If a photo gets deleted all of that information must be deleted and the naming convention must be reset.