Launch Everything from File selector dialog (open/save/save as)

General discussion related to "Everything".
juan

Launch Everything from File selector dialog (open/save/save as)

Post by juan »

Hello, I just registered on this forum to be able to ask this question.

I would like to be able to launch Everything from a File selector dialog (also called the Open/save/save as dialog), so I can find files nested deep in folders, or (sub)folders with specific patterns in their filename.

At the moment, I have a keyboard shortcut to launch Everything, and if I use this shortcut in a normal File Explorer window, it does the right thing: an Everything window opens up at the path shown by the File Explorer window. However, if I do the same from a File selector dialog, the Everything windows that opens shows the root folder (\).

Is there a way I can have the File selector working path to be passed on to the new Everything window?

Thank you for this utility. I use it dozens of times every day - to the point I couldn't live without it anymore! :D
meteorquake

Re: Launch Everything from File selector dialog (open/save/save as)

Post by meteorquake »

1. Would it help to be able to right-click a file/folder in the file selector, and so launch it by a menu item (to the right spot)?

2. You could likely also drag a file from the file selector over the everything folder view title or over the search bar to set the everything searcher

No doubt there are other options...

d
juan

Post by juan »

Thanks for your reply, @meteorquake.
meteorquake wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:04 pm 1. Would it help to be able to right-click a file/folder in the file selector, and so launch it by a menu item (to the right spot)?
It would help a bit, but still no cigar.

Why "no cigar"? For example, if the current path in the File selector only contains folders - no simple files - right clicking one of them would launch Everything only in that folder - not in its parent, which is the desired behavior.
meteorquake wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:04 pm 2. You could likely also drag a file from the file selector over the everything folder view title or over the search bar to set the everything searcher
Similar issue, and the dragging is even more mouse-intensive.

My hope is to be able to launch an Everything search in the folder shown by the File selector without having to touch the mouse.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

You need to activate the background contexxt menu. That is available by right-clicking in one of the orange areas in the screenshot below.

BTW: Which Everything version?
2023-02-07 17_14_15-Open.png
2023-02-07 17_14_15-Open.png (60.12 KiB) Viewed 2946 times
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

One additional note to that, you can generally launch a program on the parent of an item right-clicked by using "%1\..\" instead of "%1" or "%1\..\..\" for the next higher level still.
This could be done as an additional registry entry (can provide details if needed) but it may be there's a ready-made command option to do such things.
So
"C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\Everything64.exe" -new-window -explore "%1"
"C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\Everything64.exe" -new-window -explore "%1\..\"
"C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\Everything64.exe" -new-window -explore "%1\..\..\"
etc
d
juan

Post by juan »

Thanks for the info, @NotNull! If I'm not mistaken, this come straight from the horse's mouth: you're the author in person, right?
NotNull wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:18 pm You need to activate the background contexxt menu. That is available by right-clicking in one of the orange areas in the screenshot below.
2023-02-07 17_14_15-Open.png
This needs a (right) mouse click anyway - right? Any chance it could be done by a simple keyboard shortcut as I'm doing from the File Explorer?
NotNull wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:18 pm BTW: Which Everything version?
Version 1.4.1.1022 Lite (x64) - I do check for updates periodically, so it should be the latest.
meteorquake wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:27 pm One additional note to that, you can generally launch a program on the parent of an item right-clicked by using "%1\..\" instead of "%1" or "%1\..\..\" for the next higher level still.
Yes @meteorquake, thanks again. I know about ".." notation, but my issue is that when Everything is invoked from File selector (open/save) dialog by a keyboard shortcut (as opposed by a right-click context menu), it doesn't receive the current path as a parameter. Which it does if the keyboard shortcut is used from a "regular" File Explorer window.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

Why not using the NotNull's JumpToFolder AHK script ?
This works fine from Open/Save dialogs.
juan

Post by juan »

Hello @horst.epp, thanks for your suggestion. I didn't know about the JumpToFolder script, and I had to search the web to find out what AHK means :)

I'll explore this path, although if it is a simple matter to solve with Everything alone, I would prefer a solution that doesn't require extra software.
juan

Post by juan »

meteorquake wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:27 pm One additional note to that, you can generally launch a program on the parent of an item right-clicked by using "%1\..\" instead of "%1" or "%1\..\..\" for the next higher level still.
This could be done as an additional registry entry (can provide details if needed) but it may be there's a ready-made command option to do such things.
So
"C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\Everything64.exe" -new-window -explore "%1"
"C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\Everything64.exe" -new-window -explore "%1\..\"
"C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\Everything64.exe" -new-window -explore "%1\..\..\"
etc
d
Hello meteorquake, after some thought I came back to this issue.
I think your suggestion is the best solution after all. How do I create such a registry entry for the background context referred to by NotNull in his post here?