Everything always scans my 'Folders' on start

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
baroquedub

Everything always scans my 'Folders' on start

Post by baroquedub »

I have three large NAS drives which are indexed as Folders and I've set each one to "Rescan 'Every Day' at..." (i.e. when I'm not working)

But I find that turning on my computer (i.e. when Everything starts up too) always initiates a scan of these drives.

Is there a way to enforce the time I want them to be scanned? Or is my only option to switch to Never Scan and do them manually?

(thanks for the amazingly useful application!)
NotNull

Re: Everything always scans my 'Folders' on start

Post by NotNull »

Typically, Everything will scan on the configured time.
If the schedule was missed -- your computer might be off or a network share might not be available at that time -- Everrything will try to catch up as soon as possible.

To run the scan only on the scheduled time:
  • Paste the following in the Everything search bar and press ENTER:

Code: Select all

/folder_update_rescan_asap=0
    The new setting will be shown in the statusbar for a couple of seconds.
  • Done.
To restore the default setting: /folder_update_rescan_asap=1

BTW: The upcoming Everything 1.5 will do these updates in the background.
baroquedub

Post by baroquedub »

Thanks, will try that and report back. Pretty sure it's doing that start up scan even if the PC's been on, but will see what happens after having run that command.

Much appreciate the help and advice.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Maybe Everything is not able to write it's database to disk, forcing it to rescan.

That could be caused by the way the machine is shut down (not enough time to finish writing) or no write access to the folder where the database is stored.
In the latter case: Make sure Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything is checked (menu:Tools > Options > General)
baroquedub

Post by baroquedub »

Thank you again, for the help and advice.

Sadly I'm still struggling with this. I do have Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything checked, so I guess the issue is with the way the PC shuts down. It's a pretty fast machine so doesn't take very long to power off. But I've made sure that I don't power off while Everything is scanning, so I'm surprised that shutdown would be an issue. Would the app not have already saved the data?

Is there anything else I can try? I just wish the 'Never Scan' setting would be respected by the app, then I could just manually rescan when I want.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

You can check if Compress database is enabled, That will "zip" the database when exiting Everything. That process can take some time. Possible not leaving Everything enough time to save the database to disk.

Better to uncheck this setting. It can be found under menu:Tools > Options > Indexes.

Another thing worth trying is to manually save the EVerything database to disk before rebooting. There are multiple ways to do so. one of them:
  • Let Everything finish it's indexing process
  • Exit Everything completely by right-clicking it's system tray icon and selecting Exit
  • Wait a minute (that should give Everything enough time to save it's database; typically this takes a couple of seconds)
  • Start Everything again
  • Does Everything start scanning again?
    If so, Everything was not able to save the database to disk. Ignore the following steps and report back.
    If not, proceed with the following steps:
  • Exit Everything completely by right-clicking it's system tray icon and selecting Exit
  • Wait a minute (that should give Everything enough time to save it's database; typically this takes a couple of seconds)
  • Reboot your system
  • After the reboot, start Everything
  • Does Everything start scanning again?
  • Report the results on the forum

What is the date and size of your Everything.db?
(Paste the following in the Windows Explorer addressbar and press ENTER to go to its folder)
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Everything

(bonus question: is there a .tmp file in this folder?)

P.S. I assume you are runnning Everything 1.4.1.1022 64-bit?
baroquedub

Post by baroquedub »

You're a star :D

So yes, I'm running Version 1.4.1.1022 (x64)

1. Can confirm that Compress database is not enabled

2a. Exit (from Tray icon) waiting a minute and restarting the app does not rescan.
-> starting Everything after a minute, I see Loading database, then Querying, then Everything loads fine without a rescan

2b. Exit (from Tray icon) waiting and PC reboot, then starting Everything does not rescan.
- starting Everything after reboot, I see Loading database, then Updating database, then Querying database, then finally Everything loads fine without a rescan

yay!

Everything.db is 1,800,127KB
No db.tmp file except for when scanning or when exiting (from the Tray icon)

Your hunch was absolutely correct, I'm guessing that because of the size of the database, and the speed of shutdown, that 'Exit' process (when I see the .tmp file) must be being interrupted.

I guess I'll have to get into the habit of manually exiting Everything before shutdown (I can live with that, Everything is totally worth that little extra hassle!) unless you can think of a more elegant solution.

Thanks again. Very much appreciated
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

You're welcome!
baroquedub wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:37 pm unless you can think of a more elegant solution.
I can think of several workarounds, but the most useful one is to force Windows to take more time before shutdown.

This involves changing a registry setting WaitToKillAppTimeout and is described here (for example). The other mentioned registry keys might be useful too.
foreverloading

Post by foreverloading »

I have the same problem.

However, it only is problematic in one user in my computer.

Everything works fine on another.

I try to right click tray and press exit everything.

Everything is still there. Like stuck on something.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything might not be saving your database to disk and thus needs to rescan on startup.

Please make sure Everything is installed correctly and running as a standard user:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab on the left.
  • Check Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything.
  • Uncheck Run as administrator.
  • Check Everything Service. (Please make sure this is tick-checked and not square-checked)
  • Click OK.
  • Exit Everything (right click the Everything tray icon and click Exit).
  • Restart Everything.

Have you changed your database location under Tools -> Options -> Database?
-Please make sure Everything has write permission to this folder.

Did you set folder_update_rescan_asap to 0 as mentioned above?
foreverloading

Post by foreverloading »

I did what you said. Now, everytime I run everything it has to scan the whole thing first.

Is this normal?

So basically if I uncheck run as administrator, everything start slows.
void
Developer

Post by void »

This is not normal.

The scan should only occur once.

What version of Everything are you using? (Help -> About)
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

NotNull wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:36 pmBTW: The upcoming Everything 1.5 will do these updates in the background.
Hi NotNull.
Just curious: When Everything runs updates in the background, then Everything is still running, right? We just can't easily see that it is running.
Task manager or similar would let us see that Everythoing is running.

If I was concerned about the time taken to do a task, and had good reason to defer the task until (say) 1205 (lunchtime for an hour), or if I wanted the update to take place (say) at 1800 hours, before my scheduled backup (1900 hours), then I suspect that the useful setting would be "Never update automatically; always wait for a manual re-scan request" - where the "manual" scan is implemented by a command from a batch file which itself is scheduled through a Windows interface?

That is, I can see where someone (me) might want to be sure that a rescan takes place daily, as long as I'm not trying to do something on the computer.

Thanks, Chris
void
Developer

Post by void »

When Everything runs updates in the background, then Everything is still running, right?
Yes, Everything is normally always running in the background.
Even when you close all the search windows.

If you disable Tools -> Options -> UI -> "Run in background" and close all search windows, any existing scans are aborted.

If I was concerned about the time taken to do a task, and had good reason to defer the task until (say) 1205 (lunchtime for an hour), or if I wanted the update to take place (say) at 1800 hours, before my scheduled backup (1900 hours), then I suspect that the useful setting would be "Never update automatically; always wait for a manual re-scan request" - where the "manual" scan is implemented by a command from a batch file which itself is scheduled through a Windows interface?
If you want full control, set the update to never and manually rescan from Index -> Rescan -> Select the desired folder (or click Rescan all)
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

void wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:31 pmIf you want full control, set the update to never and manually rescan from Index -> Rescan -> Select the desired folder (or click Rescan all)
Thanks Void.
Chris