Even when an item cannot be previewed, the Preview Panel shows the previous view

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
Raindrops

Even when an item cannot be previewed, the Preview Panel shows the previous view

Post by Raindrops »

When we are browsing through the search results, and if we come across an item that cannot be previewed (e.g. file is corrupted), the previewer panel continues to show the preview of the previous item, and shows a small text "Preview not available" on it.

This creates a misleading impression that the current file has the same preview, instead of a caution that this item is not viewable.

As a result, the user would assume that he has duplicates and delete the good file instead of the problematic item.

In fact, even when the next item in the list is previewable, sometimes there a considerable delay in preparing the preview of the current item.
During this time, the previewer continues to show the previous image.
So when the viewer is scanning through the results, he may miss viewing some of the items without realizing!

Desired:

1. While the preview is being prepared, blank it out and show an hourglass ("please wait" status)
2. If the item cannot be previewed, leave the previewer panel blank, or better, show an eye-catching "caution!" image.
raccoon

Re: Even when an item cannot be previewed, the Preview Panel shows the previous view

Post by raccoon »

The preview window will also continue displaying the file you just deleted or renamed when there is no other object selected in its place (ie, empty search results). It should blank when the item selection is unfocused.
void
Developer

Re: Even when an item cannot be previewed, the Preview Panel shows the previous view

Post by void »

Thank you for the issue report.

What type of file are you previewing? (eg: jpg)

Could you please send a corrupted file to support@voidtools.com

The text "Preview not available" is not from Everything.
This text is most likely shown from the preview handler.

Debug logs might also help find the issue.

1. While the preview is being prepared, blank it out and show an hourglass ("please wait" status)
Blanking the preview pane would be too jarring when changing focus.
I will consider showing a "loading preview..." status.

2. If the item cannot be previewed, leave the previewer panel blank, or better, show an eye-catching "caution!" image.
Everything should already be showing a blank preview window when the preview fails to load.
There's something wrong with Everything or the preview handler here.

The preview window will also continue displaying the file you just deleted or renamed when there is no other object selected in its place (ie, empty search results). It should blank when the item selection is unfocused.
The next alpha update will clear the preview pane when the focus is unselected.

Everything will try to follow the focus, rather than the selection.
This will allow you to use Ctrl + Up/Down to change the focus and view the preview before making a selection.

Thank you for the suggestions.
Raindrops

Post by Raindrops »

What type of file are you previewing?
Mostly pdf files.
Mostly <1 MB.
Some are 1-4 MB.
A few are larger.

File size does not influence this problem.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

Raindrops wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:15 am
What type of file are you previewing?
Mostly pdf files.
Mostly <1 MB.
Some are 1-4 MB.
A few are larger.

File size does not influence this problem.
And what is your system wide PDF preview handler ?
Not necessary the program associated with PDFs.
Does the Explorer show previews for this PDF files ?

The following bat files shows all available preview handlers.

Code: Select all

@Echo off
Echo/>>%0
Echo ============================================ >>%0
Echo Computername: %ComputerName% Date: %Date% %Time:~0,6% >>%0
reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PreviewHandlers" >>%0
More +9 <%0
Pause
goto :EOF
Raindrops

Post by Raindrops »

There are four "pdf previewer" entries.
Is a conflict going on??

Also, I have used Sumatrapdf with FreeCommander (with sLister wrapper) in the past.
At the time, I found that Sumatrapdf is an excellent previewer.
In fact,it's faster than even Foxit pdf Reader, which itself is quite good.

Although I have installed Sumatrapdf, it is not listed as a previewer.
Attachments
pdf viewers.png
pdf viewers.png (74.32 KiB) Viewed 9569 times
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

SumatraPDF worked fine for me as Preview handler even if its not shown in this list.
You have to enable the options in the SumatraPDF installer !
Raindrops

Post by Raindrops »

[OT] How do I set the Sumatrapdf as previewer everywhere?
I checked in Sumatrapdf application's GUI, but it does not show that option.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

Raindrops wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:13 am [OT] How do I set the Sumatrapdf as previewer everywhere?
I checked in Sumatrapdf application's GUI, but it does not show that option.
There is no such option in the application GUI.
You have to enable the previewer under the Options of the Installer GUI.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

horst.epp wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:34 am The following bat files shows all available preview handlers.
There might be preview handlers under "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PreviewHandlers" too.
Although it is highly recommended to have applications register their preview handlers under ...\PreviewHandlers, it is not mandatory. So some might be missing here.

Nice script, btw!

@Raindrops:
Foxit AND Adobe AND SumatraPDF installed?
Raindrops

Post by Raindrops »

I didn't install Adobe: It came pre-installed with Windows 11.

I like Foxit for its annotation capability, but Sumatrapdf beats everything else as a previewer (blazingly fast).

In fact, with the sLister (wrapper), it offers many features within the Preview panel.
That's why I am (still) hoping that someone will show us the way to integrate the sLister+Sumatrapdf and uLister+Oracle Viewer Technology with the Previewer! :)
Raindrops

Post by Raindrops »

There might be preview handlers under "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PreviewHandlers" too.
Oh yes! All the Sumatrapdf associations are listed here only.
But this may be a recent change in the Registry: Just a few minutes ago, I re-installed Sumatrapdf and enabled its preview options while installing it.
(Thanks for that tip, @Horst!)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

NotNull wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:59 am Although it is highly recommended to have applications register their preview handlers under ...\PreviewHandlers, it is not mandatory.
It looks like I am wrong here. As a test, the text preview handler was removed from this list, resulting in failing text previews (on Win11).
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1336a will now hide the preview when deselecting the focused item.
void
Developer

Post by void »

The recent change to previews in 1336 is causing Everything to reload the preview when clicking on the same selected file.

Ideally, if the selection doesn't change Everything shouldn't reload the preview.

I'll have a fix soon.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1338a fixes an issue with the preview pane reloading an item when the selection doesn't change.