Make the entire GUI as drop target for selected text

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
Raindrops

Make the entire GUI as drop target for selected text

Post by Raindrops »

We can select some text from any application (e.g. a browser) and then drop it in the Everything's search bar to search for matching items.

If we have to conduct lots of searches like this, the most efficient way is to open the source app and Everything side by side (in a split-screen mode). Drag-n-drop across a split-screen is very fast and convenient.

But there is a catch: Each time, we have to drop the selection in the tiny search bar, because the other parts of the GUI are not allowed to be drop targets.

Suggestion: Please make the entire GUI as drop target, which makes the task much easier.
void
Developer

Re: Make the entire GUI as drop target for selected text

Post by void »

The entire UI (except the result list) will be a drop target for the search box in Everything 1.5

Thank you for the suggestion.
Raindrops

Post by Raindrops »

Thanks a lot!

BTW it is OK to include the result list also in the drop target area, because such action is not ambiguous.
(It cannot be misconstrued that we are trying to add the text to the results.)

I am suggesting this because the Result pane is the largest area in the GUI.
Without it, the drop area does not amount to much!
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

One extra thought - perhaps there could be an option that controls what the GUI drop is applied to - I think S=Search Bar, F= Folder Bar - my own drag-drops for example are invariably done onto the tiny title of the Folder Bar rather than the Search Bar area.
David
void
Developer

Post by void »

The Windows Shell handles the drops on the result list (not Everything).
It is possible to drop text on a file/folder.
Although, I don't have any shell extensions that do this..
I will consider an option to override dropping text on the result list as dropping text on the main UI.

I will consider an option to specify what action occurs when dropping text/files on the main UI. (eg: drop on search box, drop on folder sidebar)

Thank you for the suggestions.