Everything not finding files in primary drive but finds them in backup drive

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
PathsOfThought

Everything not finding files in primary drive but finds them in backup drive

Post by PathsOfThought »

I’m having an issue with Everything not finding certain files/folders. I have two RAIDs, both exactly the same capacity and using the same drives inside. One backs up to the other by copying new and modified files. For many files/folders on the drives, Everything will find the items on both drives. But for some, Everything will not find the folder on the primary drive, but find it on the backup drive.

I’ve searched Google, the forum, tried forcing a rebuild of the index, uninstalling and reinstalling, unchecking/rechecking “Include” for the drive, and a variety of other things I found in my search but nothing works.
void
Developer

Re: Everything not finding files in primary drive but finds them in backup drive

Post by void »

Everything will not find the folder on the primary drive
Is this folder a "folder junction"?

Everything doesn't follow folder junctions by default with NTFS indexing.

To check:
From a command prompt, run the following command:
cd c:\folder
dir

where "c:\folder" is the path of the containing folder on the primary drive.

Does this list your folder as <JUNCTION> or <SYMLINKD>

To check your drive for errors:
  • Please backup anything important on your drive before checking it for errors.
  • In Windows Explorer, right click your drive and click Properties.
  • Click the Tools tab.
  • Click Check now...
  • Click Start
  • If prompted to schedule a scan on the next restart, click Yes.
PathsOfThought

Re: Everything not finding files in primary drive but finds them in backup drive

Post by PathsOfThought »

I checked one of the missing folders, and it's not a folder junction.

I did scan the drive for errors, and Windows found some. It needed to restart to fix them, so I did that, and it spent about an hour running the repair. When it finished, I checked for one of the missing folders and Everything is now finding it on the primary drive! :) I also checked the health of my RAID drives, and one drive in the primary RAID is having some problems. :( I'm guessing that's what caused the issue so I'll have to get that replaced.

Anyway, thanks for your help!