.ini file / Restarts

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
meteorquake

.ini file / Restarts

Post by meteorquake »

When I do about:config I get the ini file. I spot something that looks like what I'm after and change it and Everything spots the change and offers to restart.
However I may then do another change and Everything doesn't spot that and you have to reopen the ini and find your place in it (I think manually closing and restarting Everything loses the changes).
It would be good if it did always spot ini modification, asking when it receives the focus.
Cheers again, David
raccoon

Re: .ini file / Restarts

Post by raccoon »

Persistent settings ini monitoring has already been suggested.

Your settings monitoring is triggered by the about:config command and it only works for the one edit. You should close the notepad session right away so you don't make further edits by mistake. They will not be remembered and will become lost when Everything is next closed.
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

Thanks for that link! I noticed further edits get overwritten... but it seemed to me Everything only needs to take the ini modified value when it first starts or writes the file, and thereafter just check the ini timestamp whenever it gets the focus (from another application).
However I then thought that's probably more an interim, as the ultimate way to go is perhaps a built-in settings editor rather similar to Firefox's about:config (but with perhaps where needed a brief description and link for the info page on the web).
Everything has to take its priority though.
Thanks, David
void
Developer

Post by void »

Currently, Everything will only watch for external changes to your Everything.ini after searching for about:config and pressing ENTER.

I was trying to avoid having a watch on the Everything.ini
(more resource usage)

I will experiment with always checking for external changes to the Everything.ini

Thank you for the suggestion.
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

I think the application-onfocus check should do it but a bit more directedly it could just switch on such checking once you've done an about:config, or alternatively under Help there could simply be a "Restart" menu option to do it all manually, which is only one extra click since you currently have to click Yes to the popup to restart anyway :) I think that (Help menu) would be the simplest fast solution to it all.
David
therube

Post by therube »

You can always look for items via about:config (or by viewing the .ini in a text editor...), & make the changes, interactively, from the Everything search bar using the / preference= syntax.
/allow_paste=0

to disable paste...
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

void wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:21 am I will experiment with always checking for external changes to the Everything.ini
Not a fan ...
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

NotNull wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:17 pm Not a fan ...
Nothing impresses you ... :p
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

I actually rely on Everything not reading the ini while running.
I re-use (/abuse) the ini for test setups, knowing that the test will be ended before 'regular' Everything exits.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please consider creating a bookmark to restart without saving your settings:
  • In Everything, from the Bookmarks menu, click Add to bookmarks....
  • Change the Name to: Reload Config
  • Change the Search to: /restart-now
  • Click OK.
One down side to this bookmark is your Everything database is not saved to disk.

/restart-now
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Thanks for the idea.
Another possible downside: about:config can't be used.

I am going to make a copy of the ini and work from there.