Drive letter in FAT tab different than the one in folder panel? Etc.?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Biff

Drive letter in FAT tab different than the one in folder panel? Etc.?

Post by Biff »

When I now press ALT+ENTER (to show the content of the marked folder)

this is shown (a [not] existing folder on another index / drive with same name obviously):

That marked folder actually should not be existing on that USB Stick. This Stick (actually of the PIONEER E: volume / index) just inserted
does (and did) not contain two or more folders of the ones that are shown in its index. The other folders are on that drive. And the index in the folder panel seems to have a different drive letter, than the (same) index in the FAT Tab indexes in the options.

It appears there are folders / files / drive letters / drives or something got mixed up somehow. Or am I missing anything? Would there be a way to get that like it should be?

The (complete) indexing (after I changed the drive letter of the hard disk E: and changed it back to E:) lasted very long for only 60.000 files (without properties), may be 10, 20 minutes or even longer. Plus indexing the properties after the files were indexed.
void
Developer

Re: Drive letter in FAT tab different than the one in folder panel? Etc.?

Post by void »

Everything will select the first matching folder.

I have put on my TODO list to select an online folder when there are duplicated paths.

Thanks for the suggestion.

It appears there are folders / files / drive letters / drives or something got mixed up somehow. Or am I missing anything? Would there be a way to get that like it should be?
Please try a rebuild from Tools -> Options -> Index -> Force Rebuild

The (complete) indexing (after I changed the drive letter of the hard disk E: and changed it back to E:) lasted very long for only 60.000 files (without properties), may be 10, 20 minutes or even longer. Plus indexing the properties after the files were indexed.
Everything will perform a "quick" reindex.
However, if you are indexing many properties, this quick reindex will still take several minutes.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Thank you very much!

Sorry, I am not quite sure to understand.

Why does this happen:
When I now press ALT+ENTER (to show the content of the marked folder)
this is shown (a [not] existing folder on another index / drive with same name obviously):

That marked folder actually should not be existing on that USB Stick. This Stick (actually of the PIONEER E: volume / index) just inserted
Everything will select the first matching folder.
Excuse me, what matching folder? Suitable for what?
I have put on my TODO list to select an online folder when there are duplicated paths.
Many thanks. But I am not quite sure what this means.
It appears there are folders / files / drive letters / drives or something got mixed up somehow.
How can that be?

Everything will perform a "quick" reindex.
Sorry, when will it do so, under what circumstances?
Last edited by Biff on Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please try removing the offline drives:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the FAT tab on the left.
  • For each FAT volume:
    • Click Remove (if possible - Remove will be clickable if the volume is offline)
  • Click OK.
Does this help?
Biff

Post by Biff »

Yes yes, it helped

Yes yes, it helped, probably since the non-existent folder that CTRL+ENTER led to is no longer there.

How could one avoid such (displaying not existing folders, etc.)?
void
Developer

Post by void »

There's currently issues with Everything treating multiple volumes with the same drive letter as the wrong volume.

This could cause a non-existing folder to show in Everything.

I am working on a fix.
Biff

Post by Biff »

That's great! Many thanks!