WHy is this program overly complicated?

General discussion related to "Everything".
SeatchSettingsAreBad

WHy is this program overly complicated?

Post by SeatchSettingsAreBad »

This software is not in any way intuitive regarding the functions passed the default searches (audio,compressed,documentent etc etc etc)

Example: Lets say I want to only search for .mov files within 2 folders and no where else.

You click search... ah maybe its under advanced search... Ok...so we got Match case ... I guess this means the name of the file perhaps ? ok... Match whole words hmm I guess it means it has an entire word within the file? or im not sure ..... ok and Match Diacritics... hmm.. let me look this up .. "a sign, such as an accent or cedilla, which when written above or below a letter indicates a difference in pronunciation from the same letter when unmarked or differently marked. ... hmm ok.. cool..
void
Developer

Re: WHy is this program overly complicated?

Post by void »

Thank you for your feedback SeatchSettingsAreBad,

Sorry there's no simple way to search multiple paths in Everything.

Everything supports boolean searches.

To search for mov files in two folders, please try the following search:

*.mov "C:\path\to\folder A\" | "D:\path\to\folder B\"

*.mov = match mov files.
| = OR
space = AND

Search Syntax
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

SeatchSettingsAreBad wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:04 am This software is not in any way intuitive regarding the functions passed the default searches (audio,compressed,documentent etc etc etc)
Hello.
I am inclined to agree with you.
For many years I have used Everything to find audio files ("*.mp3"), document files ("*.doc") and screenshot image files ("*.png").
Kid stuff.
A bit like walking everywhere.

For serious travel I need to learn to fly, and the simplest cockpit instruments in the simplest aeroplane require that I learn dials, levers, knobs and so on, AND start thinking in three axes of movement, rather than a walk up a gentle slope.

My background in training teaches me that the best way to learn something is to teach it.

To that end I am writing a tutorial for those people who, like me, want to get a firm grasp on Everything. (My stated goal is to know Everything better than does its very smart developer)

If you would like to help me, I would be happy to have you test my tutorial documents as they develop. And if so, you might PM me.

Cheers, Chris
therube

Post by therube »

OT
*.mov "C:\path\to\folder A\" | "D:\path\to\folder B\"
Oh, so that's an instance where OR > AND is "beneficial".
That said, I think I'll always be an AND > OR person.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

"My stated goal is to know Everything better than does its very smart developer"
With this goal your project will definitely fail :)
It looks like you don't have a glue what the number of options and usage scenarios is.
Why not post a link to your tutorial and you may get more users testing it.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

SeatchSettingsAreBad wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:04 am Example: Lets say I want to only search for .mov files within 2 folders and no where else.
Do you have a suggestion to make this easier? That would be welcome.

(In the upcoming Everything 1.5, specifying multiple search paths is made a little more intuitive by adding the
"c:\folder 1";"D:\folder 2" syntax where the "" can be left out if the foldernames don't contain spaces)

horst.epp wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:32 pm "My stated goal is to know Everything better than does its very smart developer"
It looks like you don't have a glue what the number of options and usage scenarios is.
I would look forward to that tutorial too. Good initiative!!

I think @ChrisGreaves meant this with a little wink and should not be taken too literal.
(the limitations of digital communication ...)

Also:
"Aim for the moon, even if you miss, you'll land among the stars."
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

horst.epp wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:32 pm"My stated goal is to know Everything better than does its very smart developer"
Hi Horst. I agree with you. Most of my life's ventures have resulted in failure, but by and large the journeys have been well worth it! I already see my move towards to this latest goal as being most rewarding.
Good question and, I hope, as good an answer is forthcoming: I have been developing what is now called "course-ware" for use in person and online for forty years now. I am just started on "Tutorials", "Terminology", and "Traps For Young Players" so in no way is there a product ready for testing by the multitude.
That said, realizing that I was overwhelmed with the quantity of settings and options for Everything, I decided that if I was overwhelmed by Everything, then others even brighter than me might be overwhelmed. I studied the reference pages on Syntax, Functions, Modifiers. Reading those pages was a lot like studying ICL's GEORGE III Operating System reference manual or ICL's PLAN Assembly language reference manual - comprehensive but needing a guided introduction - hence my projects listed above.

I thought that rather than providing a link to my current work ("Call this a tutorial? It's only 11 pages long!!!!"), I would invite "SeatchSettingsAreBad", who introduced himself to us just two days ago, as the ideal candidate to work with me in the development of the work.
After all, for all that I am a novice in Everything, I have been contemplating Everything in earnest for almost a year now.

The ideal candidate to properly test a Tutorial (and more, to provide feedback on the tone, content, and direction of any training course) is the person who is crying out for help and honestly is willing to accept help.

I reasoned that "SeatchSettingsAreBad" might benefit greatly from working alongside me in this project.
Newcomers to an Application have a different and valuable view of an application than do experts.

If "SeatchSettingsAreBad" fails to get back to me within, say, four weeks, I will ultimately reach out to the next newcomer who sounds as if they would benefit mightily in exploring Everything's magnificent structure.

Horst: Cheers, and thank you for your response.
Chris
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

NotNull wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:33 pm I would look forward to that tutorial too. Good initiative!!
Would? WOULD? Come on man! What's wrong with a shorter word like "DO" ;) ;) :lol: :D
I think @ChrisGreaves meant this with a little wink and should not be taken too literal.
(the limitations of digital communication ...)
Well, yes, at this stage I try to lighten up a bit, but work has begun. I am at only 1,214 Words, but the FOG index is at 7, Comprehension 90, and Empathy a surprising 50%, so I am on the right track.
I daily make use of Everything, and that is my source for the Tutorial. The consequent use of the terminology establishes a pair of links with the "Terminology" document, and whenever I stumble, well, hyperlinks to "Traps for Young players", reduces time to search for answers to simple questions.

In a different phpBB I am developing a topic on Everything with a weekly post, but that is less ambitious, and serves only as an alert to some of the power of Everything, and is limited to Searching (hah hah hah!).
Also:"Aim for the moon, even if you miss, you'll land among the stars."
Absolutely. No sense sitting in the mountain stream in the middle of the night wishing I could be warm and dry!

Cheers, Chris
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
void
Developer

Post by void »

There is also a folder sidebar in development.

Multiple folders can be selected while holding down the Ctrl key.
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

void wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:33 pm There is also a folder sidebar in development.
Grrrrrr! :shock:

:D
Cheers, Chris
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

void wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:33 pm There is also a folder sidebar in development.

Multiple folders can be selected while holding down the Ctrl key.
You beat me to it. (deletes screenshot ..)