Technical assistance needed

General discussion related to "Everything".
randomzones

Technical assistance needed

Post by randomzones »

Hi there!
I got some problem while using Everything. In fact, I'm trying to separate the zips and the txts.
Here is the things. I got some zips(much more than I expected.) in one folder , each zip contained a txt with the same name (example, if you unzip one named 102.zip, then you will get a txt which name is 102.txt.) then I will send these txt to another folder.
However, somethings went wrong. One day, I forgot to unzip some zips. Then I threw these zips (much) into folder as usual. I tried to use Everythings searching all of them now, but there are too much for me to lift them one by one.
So does anyone knows thathow to prevent these duplicate files from being displayed?If someone knows that, please tell me, then I can just drag and sent them to another folder instead.
Much appereciate for it.
void
Developer

Re: Technical assistance needed

Post by void »

Sorry, I'm not quite following what you want..

Could you please give an example.
(send to support@voidtools.com if you don't want to post here)

I must be misunderstanding because I don't see how there can be duplicates if you forgot to unzip these files.

too much for me to lift them one by one.
Do you mean drag drop here?

Please try cut/copying the zip files instead. (Avoid the slow context menu by using the Edit menu -> Cut)

Are you unable to find the zips? eg: they don't have meaningful date modified or date created time stamps?
Please try loading your USN Journal into your recent changes database and undoing the zip moves:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the NTFS tab on the left.
  • Select the drive that contains the zips.
  • Check Load recent changes from USN Journal.
  • Click OK.
  • Search for:
    *.zip
  • Sort your results by Date Recently Changed (View -> Sort by -> Date recently changed)

If cut/copying doesn't work either, please try the Advanced move from Edit -> Advanced -> Advanced Move.

Please consider the file-exists: search function in Everything 1.5.
randomzones

Post by randomzones »

Hi there!
I got the points.
Just as what I said, I put the zips to folder 2.Then I unzip them, and next I will transparent these zip(which I named them correct one) to folder 1.

The problem is some zips which haven't got unzip (which I named them wrong one) has mistakenly sent to folder 1, and then the correct ones and the wrong ones mixed up in a mess. So I should seperate them.

Now I have managed to know which one is correct or wrong(because the correct ones will have a same name txt in folder 2, It is easy to search and list them using Everything.)

But considered the amount of wrong one(nearly 200+), It seems impossible for me to pick it one by one.(It just like you mixed the beans and the corn kernels. It's surely easy to distinguish, but hard to seperate them all.)

Now what I want is kept those correct ones from showing up here.(Maybe just like: if pairs name is same, the searching list will not show (or ignore) them), then just the wrong one remained.

And also, I tried sent you an email, but sadly the email has got reject. So I put my pic here.https://share.weiyun.com/auLdPo8D

I'm willing to learn the skill to quickily seperate them, and if can't, maybe you can add this function in next update?
Anyway, I like Everything, much more benefit it gaves me,and the times saved by that.
void
Developer

Post by void »

You'll need Everything 1.5.

Please try the following Everything 1.5 search:

regex:^(.*)\.7z*$ !fileexists:\1.txt
(this will list all your 7z files where a txt file with the same stem does not exist)
randomzones

Post by randomzones »

void wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:24 am (this will list all your 7z files where a txt file with the same stem does not exist)
Well... Another misunderstand I guess...
My will is just seperate the right and the wrong zips, the txt that right one unziped is just a tool to distinguish whether the zip is right or wrong...
I got another stuff to introduct this...
randomzones.7z
(355.95 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
(For now I like this sharing way a lot, much more time wasted while finding way to sent these stuff.)
therube

Post by therube »

(I use this, fasti7.bat: viewtopic.php?p=42769#p42769, to "bulk" extract "ZIP" files into individual, same named [as the ZIP], directories.
[Works for any file type that 7-zip can open.])
void
Developer

Post by void »

Sorry, I don't understand.
So what I want is just let the ZIP which have the same name txt followed disappear.
(both zip and txt), let the wrong one remained.
The following should do this:
regex:^(.*)\.7z*$ !fileexists:\1.txt

-this will list all your ZIP files where a txt file with the same name does not exist
-this will list ZIP files that have not been extracted.

Is this what you want?

Do you want the opposite?
-If so, please try the following search:

regex:^(.*)\.7z*$ fileexists:\1.txt
-this will list all your ZIP files where a txt file with the same name exists.

It sounds like ZIP files and TXT files are in different locations.
Could you please send the full path and filename of a ZIP file and TXT file with the same name.

Without seeing the filenames, please try something like:
path:regex:^(.*)\\Folder \(2\)\\(.*)\.7z*$ !fileexists:\1\\Folder \(4\)\\\2.txt
randomzones

Post by randomzones »

dupe-name-part:
dupe-stem:

Show only results where the stem (basename without extension) is duplicated.

Right click the Stem column and click Find Stem Duplicates to find duplicates within the current results.
A good news to everyone! :D
Things has been solved while I update Everything to 1.5, then using this code, I separate them easily.
Using this code will easily show the correct ones(with txt followed)
And if I put a! before it, it will show the wrong one(without txt followed) magically.
It is pity that this code doesn't work in 1.4. (and that's the reason why I spend my 2 day times, silly me :cry: )

There is something I should mentioned. The codes you gave me worked well, but they're not what I needed (sadly). The first one shows all the 7z files without txt (but can't seperate 7z.), and the second one just show nothing. (maybe it will work only while all the file in a single folder. ) For the last one, I just don't know how to use it and how it works. while I just paste it, nothing happened.

And I must say sorry to therube, I 've got your reply but just can't understand what way you have used. Not only language ,but also the Technical problem for me. (sadly too)

Anyway, the problem has been solved, and some skill can be learned.
  • 1 Got Everthing 1.5.
    2 Use dupe to search files with same name.
I'd thank all of you for kindness help. Without them, the problem will never been solved.