Multiple Filter apply

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
meteorquake

Multiple Filter apply

Post by meteorquake »

It would be useful to be able to apply multiple filters. Perhaps it's already possible in a simple way?
For example, one set of filters might cover folder choice for a project, another filter might cover file specifics, and so you could choose a folder one for your project whilst you utilise the other filter(s) on top of that.
Another example is that you might want filters for online or offline and have one of them chosen while you utilise other filters.
This could be implemented by the ability (under View or Options) to show a second or third filter box; most people have a lot of screen width now.
I appreciate filters could collide where they have a common modifier, but that could be thought about such as which one takes precedence.
David
void
Developer

Re: Multiple Filter apply

Post by void »

To apply multiple filters:

1). Use macros to activate multiple filters:
  • Include the following in your search:
  • audio:|video:
Filter Macros

2). Show the filter sidebar:
  • In Everything 1.5, from the View menu, click Filters.
  • Hold down Ctrl to select multiple filters in the filter sidebar.
Filter sidebar

3). Select multiple filters from the Search menu:
  • In Everything 1.5, from the Search menu, Hold down Ctrl to select multiple filters.

4). Use the filter: search to apply multiple filters by name:
  • In Everything 1.5, include the following in your search:
  • filter:audio;video
filter:

Filters are typically ORed together.
For more control, use macros eg:

my-location-macro: audio:|video:
meteorquake

Re: Multiple Filter apply

Post by meteorquake »

Thanks! it's usually under your nose... I definitely didn't expect the ctrl-click search menu which is a good UI solution.

Can I propose another way of combining, that when modifiers collide they OR, otherwise they AND; so that the filters progressively limit rather than progressively expand the results.
(Naturally for that, comparisons of < > type will be more efficient combining by MIN or MAX since "x<a Or x<b" is equivalent to "x<Max(a,b)" etc.)

In this methodology, two modifiers filtering for a path would combine to show both those paths, whereas a filter with a path and a filter with an extension would combine to show files under that path with that extension etc. Filters for Online/Offine would then if chosen AND other chosen filters.

That would certainly be the way I would usually want to use it; but I presume there are use cases for ORing too so it may be some kind of way to choose whether to use Or or And would cover the matter.

* Perhaps Ctrl-clicking the filter items could (as currently) fully OR them, expanding the results, but Alt-clicking could AND non-colliding modifiers as described above (restricting)? There are several possible ways of handling what to do if a mixture of Ctrl- and Alt- clicks were made, that could prove useful. For example you might want to choose some filters together to create an expansion, and apply a file-extension filter on that as a restriction.

David