I'm using 1.5a, It's really good, but there's a function it can do better

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
hmx540211269

I'm using 1.5a, It's really good, but there's a function it can do better

Post by hmx540211269 »

The function "Ignore punctuation" is impressive in 1.5a, but it is not perfect yet. For example, I can only use "abc 123" to search for "abc-123", but cannot use "abc-123" to search for "abc 123".Sincerely hope that "Ignore punctuation" can become more perfect.
raccoon

Re: I'm using 1.5a, It's really good, but there's a function it can do better

Post by raccoon »

In my testing, the Ignore Punctuation and Ignore Spaces options work best when your search terms themselves contain neither punctuation nor spaces. Eg: "abc123" will return results for "abc-123" and for "abc 123" respectively.

I'm not sure if Everything should also ignore punctuation and spaces asserted in the search terms, too. It could be more convenient if it did, but there are probably situations where some punctuation/spaces must match while all others should be ignored. Eg: "A.Best-Man's.Funeral.1999.1080p" could be searched for by the term "abestmansfuneral" or "abestman'sfuneral" or "abest-mansfuneral" or "abest-man'sfuneral" depending on whether you only want results that do contain the hyphen or the apostrophe through assertion.

I wonder if there's a function to ignore specific characters, like periods or hyphens. eg: ignore:".-" could ignore just periods and hyphens but won't ignore apostrophes.
hmx540211269

Post by hmx540211269 »

I mainly want to find "abc 123" when searching for "abc-123". In addition, removing the blank space to search for "abc123" requires one more step, just like changing the "-" in the middle of "abc-123" to a blank space. If "abc123" appears directly when searching for "abc-123", it is a step in the right direction.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for your feedback hmx540211269,

Everything treats punctuation/spaces in your search as important, even with ignore punctuation/white-spaces enabled.
Everything currently only has the option to ignore punctuation/white-spaces in filenames.

I will consider an option to ignore punctuation in your search.

For now, if you are pasting searches into the Everything search box, please try Ctrl + Shift + V
This will paste text without punctuation.