Using Mouse Wheel for scrolling in multiple ways [at the same time]

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Using Mouse Wheel for scrolling in multiple ways [at the same time]

Post by Thy Grand Voidinesss »

I had some conversation already on the forum about this I just tried searching through my old posts and also went to the

Tools > Options > General > Keyboard

but I am still confused and unable to do what I want

And what I need my Everything to do is:

1] the main window with list of items to scroll up / down when I use the mouse wheel - when I hover mouse pointer over the main window

2] to cycle up / down through past search expressions when I use the mouse wheel - when I hover mouse pointer over the search / filter window

3] to cycle up / down through past search expressions when I use the mouse wheel - when the list is visible [i.e. unfolded]

4] to unfold the list of past search expressions - with some mouse click

5] to remove [i.e. delete for good] the current search expression - with some mouse click when the list is not visible [i.e. not unfolded]

6] to remove a past search expression from the list - with some mouse click when the list is unfolded

Are those currently possible to implement all together? If not, then this list was made with the most important behaviors at the top and the least important ones at the bottom
Last edited by Thy Grand Voidinesss on Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NotNull

Re: Using Mouse Wheel for scrolling in multiple ways [at the same time ]

Post by NotNull »

That would be this thread I guess?

There has not been an update since then as @void is busy doing his magic elsewhere.

So ... relax, lean back, donate and wait until @void is back.
void
Developer

Post by void »

1] the main window with list of items to scroll up / down when I use the mouse wheel - when I hover mouse pointer over the main window
This should be the default action already. (even when the cursor is not on the results).

2] to cycle up / down through past search expressions when I use the mouse wheel - when I hover mouse pointer over the search / filter window
I will consider an option to do this.
For now, please use Alt + mouse wheel.

3] to cycle up / down through past search expressions when I use the mouse wheel - when the list is visible [i.e. unfolded]
I will consider an option to do this.

4] to unfold the list of past search expressions - with some mouse click
Double click in the search box will do this.
I will consider an option to do this with a single click.

5] to remove [i.e. delete for good] the current search expression - with some mouse click when the list is not visible [i.e. not unfolded]
Press the DEL key while hovering over a search history item or search suggestion.
I have on my TODO list to delete the item under the cursor with the middle mouse button.
I will consider an option to delete the search history item when the list is not visible.

6] to remove a past search expression from the list - with some mouse click when the list is unfolded
I will consider an option to remove a past search expression from the search history list.
For now, please try the Organize Search History dialog (Ctrl + Shift + H)

Thank you for the suggestions.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

NotNull wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:42 pm That would be this thread I guess?
[...]
Maybe. I do not know. Or I just spend too much time on various forums

void wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:39 am
This should be the default action already. (even when the cursor is not on the results).
Well then, I must be experiencing some bug then

Because when I use Everything-1.5a.ini from over a month the scrolling of items up and down in the Result List when using Mouse Wheel works A-OK. But when I once again restore current settings, then it does not. But scrolling sideways works also with these new settings

And what is more: in both cases Everything only registers keyboard strokes for my Shortcut Keys but not anything coming out from my mouse

I also tried executing

Tools > Options > General > Keyboard > Restore Defaults

but this did not help
void
Developer

Post by void »

Well then, I must be experiencing some bug then

Because when I use Everything-1.5a.ini from over a month the scrolling of items up and down in the Result List when using Mouse Wheel works A-OK. But when I once again restore current settings, then it does not. But scrolling sideways works also with these new settings
What happens? Does Everything not scroll at all?

Could you please send some verbose debug output for both setups:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /debug
  • Type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /verbose
  • Perform your mousewheel action.
  • What is shown in the Everything debug console?
    (Right click the console title bar, under Edit, click Select All and right click the selected text to copy it to the clipboard)
  • Repeat for both setups
To close the debug console:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /debug
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Re: Using Mouse Wheel for scrolling in multiple ways [at the same time]

After these instructions, on my new setup the mouse scroll behaved like it does - i.e. even after clicking of an item on the Results List it was cycling through filtering expressions and not moving up / down the the list of items. And on old setup mouse wheel still affected Results List

One more thing I have noticed: the scroll bar does not move at all, also in version 1.4. I can grab the "marker" element [or whatever it is called] thus move the Results List up and down, but if I release it and continue scrolling [by any other means than grabbing it once more] then the list does move but the "marker" does not. And if I recall correctly it has been like this for me if not from the get-go then at least for weeks

void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for the debug logs.

The logs for both setups show the Everything result list is receiving the mouse wheel event.

Could you please send your old and new %APPDATA%\Everything\Everything-1.5a.ini to support@voidtools.com

One more thing I have noticed: the scroll bar does not move at all, also in version 1.4. I can grab the "marker" element [or whatever it is called] thus move the Results List up and down, but if I release it and continue scrolling [by any other means than grabbing it once more] then the list does move but the "marker" does not. And if I recall correctly it has been like this for me if not from the get-go then at least for weeks
"Scrollbar thumb"

I've never seen this issue before.
Are you using a program to hook certain messages? -it sounds like some windows messages are not being processed correctly..

How many files/folders are you indexing? this might occur if the total listview height is over 2billion pixels..
Thy Grand Voidinesss

I have recently moved from using version 1.5.0.1315a x64 to version 1.5.0.1340a (x64) Portable

And all of the issues / shortcoming prevail - except for the problem with scrolling, which now seems to work A-OK

I have under 2 000 000 objects on my list [but it is unimportant anymore - as now the scrolling works?]
void
Developer

Post by void »

What issues are you facing Thy Grand Voidinesss? Could you please remind me.
What type of mouse hardware are using?
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Two of the issues have been addressed today in other topics, while as for the lack of certain features / abilities, they are also a topic of other posts and hopefully they will be taken care of - and if not than probably in some more distant future I will most likely renew my suggestions for changes / improvements

But thank you for staying vigilant