Separate color settings in Status Bar for filters of Search

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Separate color settings in Status Bar for filters of Search

Post by Thy Grand Voidinesss »

Users are able to turn on and off various filters like

Menu > Search > Match Case

or

Menu > Search > Ignore Punctuation

If such filters are indeed selected / turned on, then they show up in an abbreviated form written in capitals in the right bottom corner - i.e. on the right edge of the Status Bar. And that is very handy, as seen in exhibit A:

But although currently users are able to make the Status Bar stand out from rows of signs visible in the main window - it does not help a bit in noticing such filters being turned on, to which attest exhibit B:

And as the color of all elements of Status Bar are governed by one overall settings available at

Tools > Options > General > Fonts and Colors > Item > Status Bar

thus I propose adding something like

Menu > Tools > Options > General > Fonts and Colors > Item > Status Bar - Filters' Status

or in a more advanced version something like

Menu > Tools > Options > General > Fonts and Colors > Item > Status Bar - Status Of Match Filters
Menu > Tools > Options > General > Fonts and Colors > Item > Status Bar - Status Of Ignore Filters

I personally would use color red for the first one and green for the second one, as seen in exhibit C:

And that is because those filters are easily forgettable [being turned on] - thus they must stand out from the rest of information provided by the Status Bar. If user forgets about them and do not notice them in the corner, then any search result can be compromised and [what is worse] unknowingly accepted as correct ones by a user

To rest my case I present to you an animated comparison of possible visual changes of the very same content:

[exhibit D]
void
Developer

Re: Separate color settings in Status Bar for filters of Search

Post by void »

Thank you for your color suggestion Thy Grand Voidinesss,

Color customization is on my TODO list.

I will consider simply color customization for the default items, for example:
Menu > Tools > Options > General > Fonts and Colors > Item > Status Bar - CASE/!PUNC/Audio/etc...

I am considering a [color=#8040BF]colored text[/color] code for custom filters.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

I think that "search indicators" should not be in the status bar at all, but implemented somehow in the search box area.
All information about the search should be in one place - the search box area.
That way it will be noticeable to the user, without the need for tricks.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Stamimail wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:15 am I think that "search indicators" should not be in the status bar at all, but implemented somehow in the search box area
[...]
I concur - as long as it is a second option. Because this way a user could have a choice of using one indicating method or the other - or even both at the same time

As to how implement this second way: how about a [separate and movable?] bar with visible / icons button?
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

There is an idea of editable toolbar (where you can put checkboxes for "match case" "match path" etc):
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4956#p12606

But it might be better to make search status indicators in the search box area.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Stamimail wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:33 pm There is an idea of editable toolbar
[...]
is always a good idea

And here is my idea about adjusting the data visibility in Status Bar - but not in regards to colors: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11859