winget: Repeated prompts the latest version of voidtools.Everything even if the latest version has already been installe

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
ali50m

winget: Repeated prompts the latest version of voidtools.Everything even if the latest version has already been installe

Post by ali50m »

I found there could be a issue when updating the latest version V1.4.1.1017 through winget. I have also filed a bug in winget github. Could you please help to loop into it?

https://github.com/microsoft/winget-cli/issues/2425
void
Developer

Re: winget: Repeated prompts the latest version of voidtools.Everything even if the latest version has already been inst

Post by void »

I have updated the download aliases.

Does the issue persist?
ali50m

Re: winget: Repeated prompts the latest version of voidtools.Everything even if the latest version has already been inst

Post by ali50m »

I just tried uninstall and reinstall everything from winget, the latest version there is V1.4.1.1017 (x64).

However, the issue is still there.

Could you please take a look at the github issue link? Thank your for this great tool!
Attachments
everything install.png
everything install.png (76.27 KiB) Viewed 4447 times
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the bug report.

I will look into the issue.
void
Developer

Post by void »

The msi installer does not support major.minor.revision.build versions

The msi is currently using the following version: 1.4.1017
(missing the revision: 1)

I am working on a possible solution..
Trenly

Post by Trenly »

@void - I don't think it is an issue with the version number itself. Winget supports version mapping, so the discrepancy between 4 part version and 3 part version doesn't matter.

I believe this is actually an error that old entries are not removed from the registry on upgrade (they do on uninstall).

I ran a few commands installing, upgrading, and uninstalling between versions. After installing multiple versions there were multiple ARP entries in the table. Uninstalling any version that isn't latest using the Add and Remove Programs entry uninstalls all the files for whichever version of the app that is installed, but leaves the errant ARP entries. Then, I booted into a clean sandbox, installed just V1.4.1.1017 and it didn't report an upgrade.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for the info Trenly,

Sorry I have been away for a few days..

The MSI installer is currently using a unique product guid for each version.

I am working on a fix..

Is there a reason the winget is using the msi?
-The yaml definition was recently changed to the nsis installer.
Does this take some time to propagate to winget?
void
Developer

Post by void »

I have rebuilt the msi installer with wix to remove previous versions.

Everything 1.4.1.1018 should fix the issue.
ali50m

Post by ali50m »

Thanks for the update. But this upgrade issue still happens in my side.
everything.png
everything.png (257.67 KiB) Viewed 3947 times
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the bug report.

I'm seeing the same thing.
Current Everything version: < 1.4.1.1014

I am not sure where winget is pulling < 1.4.1.1014 from..
I am looking into the issue.

On a fresh install of Windows 10 21H2 after installing Everything 1.4.1.1018 with winget:
winget install voidtools.everything
winget upgrade does not even report an installed Everything version.