Organize Filters lacks Clone button

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Organize Filters lacks Clone button

Post by Thy Grand Voidinesss »

Under the

Main Menu > Search > Organize Filters...

users can organize search / filtering expressions which can be added to the drop down list available in the main window

Unfortunately that managing sub-window lacks a button of >>Clone<< [or >>Copy<<] which function would be to copy whatever selected entries already are present there - and then add them with something like >>(2)<< [and then >>(3)<<, >>(4)<< etc.] after the original Name

So for example a list consisting of

Everything
Audio
Compressed
Document
Executable (4)
Folder
Picture
Picture (2)
Video

[where bold ones mean selected ones] after clicking Clone / Copy button would extend itself to

Everything
Audio
Audio (2)
Compressed
Document
Executable (4)
Executable (4) (2)
Folder
Picture
Picture (3)
Picture (2)
Picture (2) (2)
Video

Please note that the new entries are not added at the bottom of the list but accordingly below their originals. And to be absolutely clear to just how this is suppose to work: in the above example the newly created >>Picture (3)<< is a clone of >>Picture<<, while new >>Picture (2) (2)<< has all of the settings of the >>Picture (2)<< - thus they are not automatically arranged in the alphabetical order [because such order would have to be fixed thus allowing users to arrange the list as their please] but instead they are automatically arranged in a pseudo-alphabetical order

This way users could test out new Filters and easily compare them with the old ones without risking doing damages to them - and all of that while keeping the number of various clicks needed for preparations of such test / new entries to a minimum
Last edited by Thy Grand Voidinesss on Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NotNull

Re: Organize Filters lacks Clone button

Post by NotNull »

For now:
In the Organize Filters window, right-click one or more selected filters, select Copy, right-click and select Paste
The order of the filters can be reorganized by dragging them in the right postion (or use the Move Up/Down buttons)

This method is available in Everything 1.5 (Alpha).
Thy Grand Voidinesss

NotNull wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:15 pm For now:
[...]
Yes - it is quite near of what I propose

However there is small bug: the default entries [e.g. >>Audio<<] when copied and pasted have their names upper-cased [becoming >>AUDIO (2)<< instead of >>Audio (2)<<]
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Can't reproduce. Here the "cloned" filter uses the same casing (is that a word?)

Do you use a utility that intercepts and changes the copy and/or paste process?
Thy Grand Voidinesss

NotNull wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:29 pm Can't reproduce
[...]
Do you use a utility that intercepts and changes the copy and/or paste process?
No, I do not

And the upper-casing happens no matter if I use Paste from right click menu or CTRL + V shortcut
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

I ran some extra tests and now can reproduce.

First tests were with the Audio filter you mentioned and a couple of my homemade filters. These are exactly the ones that don't get capitalized!
All out-of-the-box filters, minus the Audio one, are being capitalized when cloned.

Does your Audio filter get capitalized too?
Thy Grand Voidinesss

NotNull wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:57 pm I ran some extra tests and now can reproduce.
[...]
Does your Audio filter get capitalized too?
Yes. Every default entry gets their letters changed - and none of the entries added by me
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Not tested, but this might have something to do with my Audio filter being non-default.
This sounds like a bug indeed. But could be a feature too (easily distinguish between original and copy).
I bet @void can tell us more ..
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything uses special macros for the default filter names.

These macros names are localized for display.
Macro names are in all uppercase characters (for example: AUDIO, EXECUTABLE, DOCUMENT, ...).

For example, in English:
AUDIO = Audio

For example, in Spanish:
AUDIO = Buscar solo Audio

In the next alpha update, Everything will correctly resolve the duplicate name as Audio (2)
(instead of AUDIO (2))
Thanks for the bug report.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

void wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:30 am Everything uses special macros for the default filter names.
[...]
For example, in English:
AUDIO = Audio

For example, in Spanish:
AUDIO = Buscar solo Audio
[...]
will correctly resolve the duplicate name
[...]
So... what happens [now and after planned upgrade] if a user renames default Audio to AUDIO. Or deletes default Audio and some time later creates AUDIO from scratch? Will there be still, a users should not use for names of Filters the names of macros?

If yes, then I would like to kindly request changing the names of macros from convenient from e.g. AUDIO to something like $mAUDIO or ~AUDIO~, thus leaving the convenience of using capitalized name like AUDIO entirely at users' disposal
void
Developer

Post by void »

So... what happens [now and after planned upgrade] if a user renames default Audio to AUDIO. Or deletes default Audio and some time later creates AUDIO from scratch? Will there be still, a users should not use for names of Filters the names of macros?
Nothing should really happen.
Everything won't modify your filters.
Filters named AUDIO, will simply display as Audio (localized)

It's too difficult to change this now.
AUDIO will likely remain as a macro for Audio (localized)
I have put on my TODO list to make it easier to change the localized text when editing your AUDIO filter.

For now, simply add a space after the AUDIO text for the filter name.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Any news on near future implementing of this feature?

It is really tedious to have to copy by hand various defined fields of a Filter when only testing out modified version of it and wanting to retain its original variant for quick comparisons during filtering
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Well?
void
Developer

Post by void »

To clone a filter:
  • Select a filter.
  • Press Ctrl + C (copy)
  • Press Ctrl + V (paste)
I will consider a single click clone feature.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Or;
CTRL + drag/drop a filter