"stop and pause indexes" shouldn't be in index menu

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
redwood

"stop and pause indexes" shouldn't be in index menu

Post by redwood »

If I may express an opinion:
it is dangerous to have stop and pause indexes in main menu to mess with by accident.
option like that should be buried in configuration window
raccoon

Re: "stop and pause indexes" shouldn't be in index menu

Post by raccoon »

There are dozens of threads requesting the ability to pause changes to the index so that the user may perform file maintenance without updates and changes appearing while they work.

Everything is a very powerful precision tool, and one should exercise great care and total situational awareness when they click on anything. No false moves or mindless clicking allowed.
void
Developer

Post by void »

I will consider burying the pause/stop monitoring options.
Pausing updates isn't harmful.
No changes to your NTFS volumes will be missed.

I will consider making the PAUSED/STOPPED text shown in the statusbar more obvious.

Thank you for your suggestions.
redwood

Post by redwood »

void wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:07 am I will consider making the PAUSED/STOPPED text shown in the statusbar more obvious.
Yes, as a warning in red color or something. or maybe index status shown in title bar if it is stopped
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

I agree that it should be more obvious in the statusbar when paused/stopped is running.
I have suggested in the past that there could be an option to move status bar messages to the left rather than have the messages on the right, and have the option to colour the messages.
But, I don't think that the option should be buried for users like myself who use this option frequently.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

I like these options in the menu too. Whenever I need a debug log, I typically pause/stop the indexing (if the situations allows).
Keeps the debug log clean and makes it easier to find what I was looking for.

But then again, I made a habit out of checking the status bar, as it is *the* most important 'Everything dashboard' of what settings are currently influencing which results are shown.