Protected Recycle Bin

Off-topic posts of interest to the "Everything" community.
harryray2

Protected Recycle Bin

Post by harryray2 »

This is a real long shot, but by any chance does anyone have a copy of Norton Protected Recycle Bin [from Norton Utilities]?
I used Norton Protected Recycle Bin years ago on Win XP but it also worked on Win7, although I can't remember if it came as 64 bit or not.

I did manage to track down a copy of Norton Utilities on way back machine, but it was 32 bit and wouldn't run on a 64 bit machine.

The only modern equivalent I can find is Undeluxe, a programme made by Resplendence software. Unfortunately the free version of it is quite limited.
therube

Re: Protected Recycle Bin

Post by therube »

Seems x64 support came starting with Version 14.0.
(Can't tell from there if the recycle bin utility is there or not.)
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

That was a really swell program. I too have thought of it often.

It seems the guy who runs SysInternals wrote a similar program, designed to prevent malware from deleting its own payload files, but I don't think it's available to the public as yet, and not the same function as Norton's version.

It would be really sweet if someone wrote a modern day version that intercepted the delete commands and renamed/relocated the files instead to a protected folder.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Yes, it was so useful, it was in Norton utilities, when Norton utilities was still a good programme, before it became total crap. I've never understood why the the protected recycle bin was dropped.

Interesting about a Sysinternals version, I'm going to look and see if there is a way of contacting them to ask about it.

As I said, the nearest thing I found (in fact, the only thing I found) to it. Undeluxe, seems to work quite well, but unfortunately the free version is too limited for what I'm after. The full programme cost 30 euros.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

harryray2 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:35 pm Interesting about a Sysinternals version
https://youtu.be/_MUP4tgdM7s?t=148
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Got round to watching this at last...I've used sysmon in the past, or at least tried using it, and found it horribly complicated for my simple mind.

I much prefer something with a nice, clean, simple GUI, such as in Norton and Undeluxe. but as sysmon appears to be the only free solution around, I guess I'll have to try and tackle it.

I did actually find some old copies of the Norton recycle bin but it wouldn't run on a 64 bit system.