Search in places outside the index - Search on Exclude list

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
Stamimail

Search in places outside the index - Search on Exclude list

Post by Stamimail »

Sometimes you search for something and you find 0 results.
The suggestion is to make a link next to "0 objects" that says:
0 objects⠀⠀Try to search outside the index⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Clicking on the link, will open a new window of Everything and a dialog-box showing tree/list of Excluded places and saying:
The search may be slow. Please narrow your search (recommended):
(The user will be able to choose places outside the index for search)

This new window will have a long progressbar (and/or incrementing percentages). It will work like the slow Windows Search and like the slow content search in Everything. It will show results during search, and make a temporary index behinds the scenes that will last till this window is closed (or program exit).

This means one more thing:
Until recently (slow) content search in "Everything" was possible in the main window.
From now on, only indexed content will be possible to search.
To search for non-indexed content, the user will need to open/launch a new window that searches (slowly) outside the index.
So that there will be 2 windows:
One window (main) with a list of results that are in the index, and one window with a list of results that are not in the index.
NotNull

Re: Search in places outside the index - Search on Exclude list

Post by NotNull »

Instead of permanent excluding objects, you can omit results.
This has the advantage that these objects are "out of the way" for daily use, but still accessible when needed.
You can toggle the inclusion/exclusion of omitted results through the menu (Index > Enable Result Omissions), the status bar (right-click > Enable Result Omissions or double-clicking OMIT RESULTS)

Using the temp-exclude: search function should show you the omitted results [1]

This new window will have a long progressbar (and/or incrementing percentages
Showing a percentage will be impossible as Everything has no knowledge of the amount of files/folders that need to be scanned.

Until recently (slow) content search in "Everything" was possible in the main window.
From now on, only indexed content will be possible to search.
When no content is indexed (Options > Indexes > Content), Everything will do a slow search by reading the files from disk.
When some content is indexed, you can still force Everything to read the files that are not indexed from disk by using the from-disk: search modifier: from-disk:content:"some text"

Using result omission, combined with from-disk:content: seems to me a much more straightforward way to get the results you are looking for.

[1] .. although that doesn't seem to work as I expected atm (v1315a). Function should be renamed too (omit vs exclude)
void
Developer

Re: Search in places outside the index - Search on Exclude list

Post by void »

I have on my TODO list to add a temporary index.

With temporary indexes, when you search for a path that is not indexed, Everything will give the option to add the path to your index.

I will consider an option to do a slow Windows Explorer style search (list files that are not in the index).

Thank you for your suggestions.