EFU file lists do not work with properties files

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
Marco Polo

EFU file lists do not work with properties files

Post by Marco Polo »

Everything build 1.5.0.1314a. Properties are read from CSV and are successfully displayed for files that really exist on HDD but not for files from EFU list. Even in case files in EFU actually point to the same path as 'real' files on disk, existing ones.

On the screen
File twins are sorted as pairs - first file in each pair is from disk and second from list named gitahead.efu and I've marked two pairs as an example. Fields of real files from HDD were successfully filled with properties (Tags, Custom Property 2, etc.). But their twin files read from EFU list were not enriched with properties.

Are EFU lists not working with properties files or am I just missing something obvious?

In my case EFU files are a sort of media that is detached and offline - CD, DVD and probably I can even use EFU for exhange catalogues via internet. And properties CSV file is not the same as EFU list it describes. At least in my scenario I think that CSV will be edited separately from EFU. The fields tags and comments are most interesting for me but it seems the same trouble with all properties.
NotNull

Re: EFU file lists do not work with properties files

Post by NotNull »

Whne you open the EFU file in a text editor, are these properties listed?

If not:
Before exporting to an EFU file:
- make sure all relevant properties are listed (= columns are added)
- select all files
- press 'CTRL + SHIFT + E' (or Menu:File > Read Extended Information) to gather this information.
- Export to EFU file

EDIT:
Did have some time to test this. When the EFU file contains the relevant information, it is not shown in the Everything result-list after the EFU fiule was added to the index (Menu:Tools > Options > Indexes > File Lists).

However, when the filelist was opened stand-alone (Menu:File > Open File List), the properties are shown as expected.
void
Developer

Post by void »

File lists will never access your disk (with the exception of icons and thumbnails if enabled).

You will need to include the property values in your file lists.

For example:

My File List.efu:

Code: Select all

Filename,size,Custom Property 2,SHA-1,MD5
c:\Program Files\GitAhead\vcredist_x64.exe,14970000,,68d8ed9af12c2a015...,1e3131468ede0...
Currently, the File List Editor does not support all Properties.

All Everything properties and Windows Property System properties are supported when indexing your file lists from Tools -> Options -> File Lists.

You will also need to index these properties under Tools -> Options -> Properties.
Otherwise, file list properties are ignored.

filelist_icons
filelist_thumbnails
Marco Polo

Post by Marco Polo »

NotNull wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:29 pm However, when the filelist was opened stand-alone (Menu:File > Open File List), the properties are shown as expected.
Thanks, you have helped me very much - this way i see properties in EFU. My first attempts were not successfull because I worked with EFU lists attached in options menu (Menu:Tools > Options > Indexes > File Lists)