.lnk .url - Column & Preview

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
meteorquake

.lnk .url - Column & Preview

Post by meteorquake »

A useful addition for the metadata columns would be the target of .lnk and .url files.
- Perhaps when you right-click a column head it could be categorised under File close to the Hard Link choices.

If it will store this information anyway, there may be a use for users in providing the ability to show .lnk files whose target fails.

When .lnk shows its preview you see a preview of the target file, but it may be useful to overlay the preview with the target path since it is different from the .lnk path (and will also show when there is no preview).

Generally .url previews as blank, but since it's actually an ini-type file I've manually assigned it to text. However it could be that Everything could just show the target in the preview pane.

David
void
Developer

Re: .lnk .url - Column & Preview

Post by void »

There is already a Shortcut Target and URL property.

To show the Shortcut Target column:
  • In Everything, right click the result list column header and click Add Columns....
  • Click Shortcut on the left.
  • Select Shortcut Target and click OK.
To show the URL column:
  • In Everything, right click the result list column header and click Add Columns....
  • Click Shortcut on the left.
  • Select URL and click OK.

To find broken shortcut files with Everything:
  • In Everything 1.5, type in the following search:
    *.lnk regex:shortcut-target:(.*) !<folderexists:\1 | fileexists:\1>
Note: this will find lnk files where the target file or folder does not exist in your Everything index.

I will consider showing the shortcut target in the preview pane for lnk files.
Thank you for the suggestion.
defza

Post by defza »

I have some .lnk shortcuts that point to pdf files.
I want to copy all the target files at once, but I always get the shortcut files only.

I can turn on the "Shortcut Target" column, and I can right click in the column on one of the files and say "Copy Shortcut Target", then I get a nice list of the target file names.

I can then pipe them together e.g. "file x.pdf"|"F:\filey.pdf", or add them to a .txt file and open them in advanced search search in filelist, and then get them listed and copy them.

But I was wondering if there is no other way to "Copy all shortcut target's"? Instead of all plain text list of the files to clipboard?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please try the following:
  • In Everything 1.5, select the desired files.
  • Under the Shortcut Target column, right click and click Copy Shortcut Target.
  • Change the search to:
    filelist1:
  • Hold down Ctrl and left click the filelist1: text in the search box.
  • Paste your filenames.
  • Click OK.